Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,162   Online: 800

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Where do I get a 6x7 projector?

So I have an RZ. Been shooting mostly B&W with it, but the Velvia is oh so nice. I can and have been scanning it, but I want to project some images and blow some socks off at the local camera club... but I can't seem to find a decent+affordable projector.

There's one on eBay right now asking almost $1000 that seems to be some monstrous 750W thing for lighting up the side of a building. Are there normal-room-sized projectors (say, for a 50" screen) readily available second-hand? Where (I'm in AU but KEH etc are OK) ?

I'm also considering building one. Would it be sufficient to get a nice (high colour-temp) bright bulb, heat-absorbing glass, condenser from a 6x7 enlarger and an old lens from an RB? I can take care of the mechanical and electrical stuff. 35mm projectors seem to have lenses around the 90mm f/2.5 range, which means that a 180mm f/4.5 ought to give me the same image size and probably enough brightness. I was thinking of using an automotive-style 5600K HID lamp or two, but I don't know if their spectrum is continuous. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by polyglot; 10-22-2009 at 03:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Woof! 6X6 projectors were uncommon, 6X7 more so. I've worked in the biz 30 yrs & have never seen one in the flesh.
    There were many longer lenses for the Kodaks by aftermarket vendors.
    What about starting with a Lantern slide projector & modify that?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may be in luck:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vintage-Retro...14152001r17702

Matt

P.S. I've no connection to the seller - but I'd like to have one myself.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    There's one on eBay right now asking almost $1000 that seems to be some monstrous 750W thing for lighting up the side of a building.
    750W is not monstrous at all for 6x7! 250W is normal for 35mm. But the area of a 6x7 slide is 4.5 times as large. You need much more light to project it with the same brightness (too busy now to find out how much more). I use a 1000W Goetschmann G67 projector for my 6x7 slides. This is the smallest Goetschmann model. Here is a link to the producer. It is perfectly suitable for a living room. I used to project on a 1.5m2 screen but meanwhile changed to 2m2. 50" should be something like 1.3m2. 750W will be fine.

When I started projecting 6x7 slides, I used an old Leitz made Linhof 6x7 projector. I cannot recommend such an old projector because they are too dim. If you really want to impress your friends you need a more modern projector with an excellent lens. The Goetschmann comes with a Schneider-Kreuznach 150mm f2.8 lens.
    Last edited by Joachim_I; 10-22-2009 at 05:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't got one (don't have a slide projecor at all), but know the Goetschmann, and it is great.
    Big (and expensive) too!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone! 1900 euro (projector plus lens) is right out for me at this point, no matter how lovely the Goetschmann is

Matt: I don't know what size that one is, but thanks for the link & PMs. I didn't know Mamiya was rebadging Cabin gear, so it might be worth throwing $10 at it just to see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would check what lamp the Cabin Projector takes and if it is still available.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get an omega DII or similair and get a 6x7 holder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I already have an enlarger. Surely not bright enough to project an image for viewing by a crowd though...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin