Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,578   Online: 1143

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carry on film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got back from a trip to Washington DC, where some Superia 1600 i had got scanned at least 8 times, maybe more - i just got tired of getting a hand check every time we'd go through security. If it's fogged, i honestly can't see it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a set of boxes that I use for film (exposed and unexposed) when traveling. Each box has a very prominent label - in red - stating that it contains photographic film and must not be opened in daylight. Each box is carefully wrapped with a heavy colorless shipping tape so that the box has a completely 'plastic' surface. Then, prior to leaving for the airport, I seal each box with a strip of blue painter's tape (chosen so that it peels cleanly off the 'plasticized' surface of the box).

Finally, I let everything go through the scanner.

My experience is that most of the time the inspector's haven't actually looked at the boxes. I've had one instance where the inspector did a wipe test of a film holder, and one other where he wanted to engage in conversation. But no inspector has challenged the packaging or attempted to open a box. I do carry a changing bag 'just in case' (I read somewhere that TSA inspectors are trained in the use of changing bags).
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The TSA are horrible when it comes to hand inspecting. Every time I have gone through (in the USA) they refused to hand inspect my films. They are just about the rudest people I have come across....In Australia, their TSA are really great! They are so easy to work with.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    The TSA are horrible when it comes to hand inspecting. Every time I have gone through (in the USA) they refused to hand inspect my films. They are just about the rudest people I have come across....In Australia, their TSA are really great! They are so easy to work with.
    Interesting. I've never met a rude TSA agent yet, neither here in PR nor in the continental USA. I've had them do the swab test with film, which I usually carry unboxed in a clear ziplock bag. Once I carried 120 film still in the boxes, and the agent in Raleigh NC unboxed and unwrapped each roll to swab it. It took a little while, but he was quite pleasant. Never have they refused nor even balked at a hand check.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I usually have a changing bag with me when I'm traveling with a lot of camera equipment, but mainly in case of an emergency in the field where I may have to open a camera or a filmholder, because something's not right.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin