Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,729   Online: 1151

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Who makes the best 35mm slide projectors?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes. I would like to be able to do slideshows with my family, like when I was a kid. Back then we had an all metal Kodak carousel that seemed pretty nice. Are Kodak slide projectors good? Any other brands you might recommend?

Jared

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica Pradovit with a Super Colorplan lens.

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net

Shooter
    35mm
    For 35mm slides only and not medium format, the Kodak slide projectors range from OK to very good. The Carousel series are intended for the home and they're fine. The Ektagraphic series are more for professional and are very good. The Ektapro series, I think they were made in Germany, are very high quality and have many features. Some would say that the best 35mm projectors were the Leica, but I have never used one.
    All of the Kodak projectors have been discontinued. You can buy them used for sure.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Leica
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    "Leica Pradovit with a Super Colorplan lens."

Do you mean like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leica-Pradovit-D...ht_1161wt_1167

WOW!!

Jared

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, that's their new digital projector which is actually quite nice. They made a line of traditional slide projectors for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by jphendren View Post
    "Leica Pradovit with a Super Colorplan lens."

Do you mean like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leica-Pradovit-D...ht_1161wt_1167

WOW!!

Jared

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    The Carousel series are intended for the home and they're fine. The Ektagraphic series are more for professional and are very good. The Ektapro series, .
    The Carousel series came in numerous forms over the years at all levels from basic/home to fully professional. They were the mainstay of many commercial and business institutions. They were very long-lived and easily serviced, but when bits did wear out were easily and fairly cheaply replaced. When the university where I work upgraded the ageing fleet of Carousels to Ektapros, they were rather disappointed. I don't know the details but I believe the problems were mainly the electronics.
    My main projector has been a Carousel S-AV 2000 which I've had for 30 years, though in recent years I've been offered (and accepted) two others that were literally being given away. The main shortcoming of Carousels was to me was that the buyer paid a high premium for their mechanical construction and reliability but the lenses were often plastic and left a lot to be desired, especially the 70 - 120mm zoom that so many seem to have. It's convenient, but if you want to get the best from your slides, get one of the fixed focal length lenses, possibly from another manufacturer. Note that in the older Carousels there were 150W and 250W versions. I'd recommend the 250W model as you can fit it with a 150W bulb but not vice versa (transformer in the 150W can't handle the higher current drawn by a 250W bulb).

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    The Leica RT-300 is the best and the reason why is it produces the Whitest [sp] light.
    The Kodak Carousels use as do most projectors a heat absorbing glass. This is either in the form of a condenser or a flat glass. The leica has no HA glass. The RT-300 bounces the light off a dichroic reflector and then through the necessary condensers and the slide onto the screen. The dichroic reflector absorbs the heat.
    I sold more Leica RT-300 projectors with a little demonstration. Line up two projectors with similar focal length lenses so you get the same size display on a WHITE not Silver screen. Insert a empty slide mount in each projector to open the shutter and check the screen. The Kodak or other projector because of the Heat Absorbing glass will have a Greenish hue where the Leica will be pure White. The RT-300 uses the same trays, stack loader and remote cable as the Carousels.
    The last feature, the RT-300 has an automatic power cord reel.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Leica RT-300 is the best and the reason why is it produces the Whitest [sp] light.
    The Kodak Carousels use as do most projectors a heat absorbing glass. This is either in the form of a condenser or a flat glass. The leica has no HA glass. The RT-300 bounces the light off a dichroic reflector and then through the necessary condensers and the slide onto the screen. The dichroic reflector absorbs the heat.
    I sold more Leica RT-300 projectors with a little demonstration. Line up two projectors with similar focal length lenses so you get the same size display on a WHITE not Silver screen. Insert a empty slide mount in each projector to open the shutter and check the screen. The Kodak or other projector because of the Heat Absorbing glass will have a Greenish hue where the Leica will be pure White. The RT-300 uses the same trays, stack loader and remote cable as the Carousels.
    The last feature, the RT-300 has an automatic power cord reel.

Shooter
    35mm
    "The Carousel series are intended for the home and they're fine" exactly, I wonder how many were sold?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2bLNkCqpuY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin