Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,327   Online: 1101

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wrong compendium, any use anyway?

Bought a compendium for my RB67, at least that was what I thought. It was an impulse buy and I should have looked at the pics better. When I got it today I realised that it was not for the RB but for the 645. The retaining ring is a °67 mm, and the RB uses 77. The biggest difference is that this compendium is Rectangular, which means I will have to turn the compendium 90 degrees when I revolve the back, or pull the bellows back a bit.

So what to do? Use it anyway with a 67-77 step down ring and risk vignetting or pass it on? I like it because it has two filter slots, and it has a real PRO look, which my plunger rubber hood hasn't.

What would you do? I only paid $35 so it's no big deal really. But I have a policy about gear, what I don't use I don't keep.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Pass it on.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'd imagine it'd vignette like crazy. That being said there's probably someone out there with a 645 wondering what the heck he should do with the RB67 shade he bought by mistake. I mean, considering the number of people who have found each other through dating sites there's got to be at least one out there for you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been wondering the same thing about the Fuji 6x680 compendium shades...

I have an RZ system, and using one on those lenses. Anyone know of where I could get a 77-85 step up ring?:o

-Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've got the shades for both the RB/RZ and the GX680. Are you wondering if the RB/RZ will work on the GX680?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosaiya View Post
    I've got the shades for both the RB/RZ and the GX680. Are you wondering if the RB/RZ will work on the GX680?
    no, the other way around. GX680 compendium on the RZ with a step-up ring (77-85)

-Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    no, the other way around. GX680 compendium on the RZ with a step-up ring (77-85)

-Dan
    The outside diameter of the GX680 lenses are significantly larger than the RB lenses. The shade slips over the lens and is held in place with a set screw. You could probably rig up something out of tape or pipe to go on the RB lens that will make it wide enough to hold the GX shade. A step-up ring won't help because of how it attaches.

Does that make sense?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ya, thanks...

I got the G3 hood for the rz, and its great! but having seen some of the gx680 hoods go somewhat cheaply lately(and the g3 ones NOT cheaply ), I thought of jury-rigging something up.

might have to do that after all.

thanks for the help

-Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Better too big than too small. You'll just need to wrap something around the RB lens.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosaiya View Post
    Better too big than too small. You'll just need to wrap something around the RB lens.
    this is too small

sell it... not worth messing with.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin