Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,104   Online: 1195

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Some of the best deals are from sources like this. You're taking a risk, but if you know something about the equipment, know what might go wrong and how much it might cost to fix, you can make a reasoned judgment about how much to pay for something that the seller doesn't know about and can't test. Don't bid more than you're prepared to lose, if it doesn't work out, but if it does work out, you can do quite well.

Scanners are too flaky and sensitive in general, so I'd pass on this one myself, but the best purchases I've made on eBay are of poorly described items with fuzzy pictures from sellers who didn't really know what they had.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I find it odd that arrangements for shipping are the responsibility of the buyer. How is someone from Europe to know how to do that?
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An asset recovery company doesn't care if someone in Europe isn't getting an equal opportunity to score the scanner. They just want to offload the goods as quickly, cheaply and easily (for themselves) as possible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The bidding started at $198. That is reasonable for a "parts" machine. The current price of $570 was driven by bidders. Can't blame Ebay or the seller for that. They have disclosed everything they know honestly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, this is an example of a good ebayer. These people seen to be upfront, if it makes you nervous, don't bid.

I bought a Pentax Digital meter with the same type of description, except it wasn't tested with, or without, batteries.

When I emailed them asking questions, they said the meter was in a large repo of what appeared to be well taken care of equipment and the lab stated everything worked. They offered to take it back if it didn't work, even though the auction said different.

I paid $113 for it. Put new batteries in, it matches my Pentax Zone VI modified V analog meter to the number.

Anyway, just 2 cents worth.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good EBayer?

http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs...rn=Received+by

Put a few more dollars in the pot and buy one you can be assured of working as it should. Unless of course you are a gambler anyway.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So they have negative feedback. But 0.6% of the time out of 17k items where they're obviously a clearance joint is (IMHO) very low - you expect much more DOA gear from an in-person auction.

It's listed "as is". The price is low. It's a gamble but you know that - so what? I bought a similar "as is" film scanner and it had a busted lamp. They claimed it was untested new-old-stock though a bad attempt at replacing the lamp had been made, i.e. they were flat-out lying to me but it doesn't matter. I got it at 1/3 of the market rate because the auction was marked "as is" and after spending $50 on a new lamp and 15 minutes with my soldering iron, I have a perfectly good 4x5" film scanner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin