Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,997   Online: 812

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

That auction site: THIS is why we need to be careful.

Read the description of this item. Read it all the way thru and then tell me what you think.
    This is why I only want to really purchase thru Apug or B&H.... I wish APUG had the auction software. But it would no doubt be a bear to manage and who want's the headache.

Anyway, read this and you'll understand the forces at work there on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Super-Cool...item588472c40d

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    Read the description of this item. Read it all the way thru and then tell me what you think.
    This is why I only want to really purchase thru Apug or B&H.... I wish APUG had the auction software. But it would no doubt be a bear to manage and who want's the headache.

Anyway, read this and you'll understand the forces at work there on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Super-Cool...item588472c40d
    While I agree that I would be wary about buying equipment that has not been fully tested, this seller appears to offer a relatively reasonable return policy. Better than many on the site that say some BS like "I am not an expert" or don't offer a return at all. Also, at least they are trying to make an effort at proper disclosure (green light, missing rubber foot).

I have purchased and sold a lot of camera and other stuff on ebay, with almost all good experiences. But I agree with you that when dishing out the money for an item like this, you definitely want more assurances than what this seller has put on their ad.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Shawn, that's just it, his return policy is based on "his description above" i.e., the light turns on, blinks and stays on. There could be over 1,000 things wrong with this and he does not have to return it.
    I use to read contracts every day so I'm really gun shy, but this takes the cake. It really does try to make someone feel comfortable that they can return it if it does not work, for any reason other then the light description. Believe me, this is hinkey. (says Abby from NCIS)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The seller is an asset recovery company, not a photographer. They won't bother testing everything exhaustively, just describe it and flick it. Their feedback rating is not too bad. The description and conditions are reasonably clear. The item is probably OK, but who knows? You would bid on it if you want to take a bit of a gamble, or steer clear if you want a cast-iron guarantee. Caveat emptor. The uncertainty will be (or should be) reflected in the final selling price. Ebay is a different beast from what it was a few years ago, but it is still pretty safe if you exercise a bit of common sense and are clear about how much risk you are prepared to take.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't see anything wrong with it.
    You are not given much info about the condition of the machine, because they haven't tested it. But nothing suggests they are holding info back either.
    And for that, you can get it for very little money.
    There's a reason why people who take risks more than others seem to have more good luck than others too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's an ebay auction with an honest, physical, (and of course untested) description. Either bid what you think is reasonable or forget about it. Scanners are sensitive beasts, so if worried by such things maybe best to not buy one second hand if you can not test it first!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The conditions are as stated. And it is a recovery company. Are all the negative holders there? I am with the OP on this one; just pass on it.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would say that - pass on it - too, if the seller would ship overseas, and i didn't have enough scanners already.
    Else the next bid placed would be mine.

What you do is bid what you think is a reasonable amount given the uncertainty.
    If it goes for more, too bad, but someone else took the risk.
    If not, you've either got a bargain, or bad luck. You win some, lose some.
    The trick is in reading the signs, in judging your chances. Do that right and you'll still lose some, but win most.

This looks not bad to me. Like i said, it's not the description that is stopping me from having a go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't see the problem either. The auction states pretty clearly what's been tested and what hasn't; to me the rest is caveat emptor. Though personally, I'd caveat a little too much to do any empting in a case like this---there are too many things that could be wrong. But obviously there are enough people who feel differently to have put the price up to US$570 so far.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to wonder to make of "not DOA" and "sold AS-IS". Aren't they mutually exclusive and gives the seller whole a lot of latitude to get out of any responsibility?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin