Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 767

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Better light meter?

Hello- I have the Sekonic L-208 and it has served me very well so far but it seems like at times I am not thrilled with it. I was wondering how people like the other analog Sekonic L-398A. I am looking at this meter. What are your experiences with both of these meters at night? Is it worth it for me to go over to the L-398A. Thanks
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my little L398, but it's not sensitive enough for low light work. I would recommend something like a Gossen, or better yet for night work, a spot meter.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    I love my little L398, but it's not sensitive enough for low light work. I would recommend something like a Gossen, or better yet for night work, a spot meter.
    I'm not aware of any lightmeter more sensitive than the Gossen. Mime measures down to EV-4 at ASA100. However, that may not necessarily make it the best in the view of the OP. We need to understand what the application is.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ektagraphic,

what is your intended use for the meter primarily? Since you've mentioned in other posts about getting into LF, you might want to look at the spot/ambient meter combos from sekonic. try the L-608/608cine or the L-558. if you're feeling spendy, the newest L-758/758DR are really nice, albeit, wicked expensive!

look at the combo meters, I think that those might be the best bang for your buck.

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used three meters Luna pro sbc, now in back up role.
    Zone Vi modified Pentax V spot meter (top dog)
    Pentax digital spot that "may" move into the backup role for the V.

The top two are outstanding meters, easy to use.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektagraphic, any chance that you will eventually want your meter to handle flash? That's high on the list of priorities for my next meter. Until then I'm happy with my little Gossen.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I'm not aware of any lightmeter more sensitive than the Gossen. Mime measures down to EV-4 at ASA100. However, that may not necessarily make it the best in the view of the OP. We need to understand what the application is.
    He asked about our experiences with it at night, thus I assumed he plans to use it in low light. Thus I discouraged him...
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    He asked about our experiences with it at night, thus I assumed he plans to use it in low light. Thus I discouraged him...
    Eddy

You're right. I've overlooked that.

Ektagraphic

For a night application some Gossen are unbeatable. Look for the once which go down to EV-4 at ASA100. I ave not seen anything more sensitive than that.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If memory serves, Quantum's Calcu-Light XP goes down to EV-7. I have the Calcu-Light X and it goes to EV-3 or 4. Manuals are online, Google will find them, specs are published there.

-F.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    If memory serves, Quantum's Calcu-Light XP goes down to EV-7. I have the Calcu-Light X and it goes to EV-3 or 4. Manuals are online, Google will find them, specs are published there.

-F.
    Quoting EVs without the related film speed is of limited use when talking about light sensitivity. The Quantum brochure does the same. I wonder if they are just referring to the range of their mechanical dial?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin