Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,286   Online: 957

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The main problem is that the TSA et al are looking for bombs instead of bombers. All these searches are useless, especially when done by minimum wage grunts on a power trip. Get some well trained people in the waiting rooms looking for tell tale signs of stress etc. Once these suspects are identified, then take them to a screening room for a full search.

Has the TSA even caught one bomb before boarding? I doubt it. Maybe they have hassled a few old folks who have forgotten to take their lighters out of their pockets. People have to get real, look at all the drugs that are smuggled in on scheduled flights. Most times it's the ground crew doing it and not the passengers. Has this been stemmed? Not in the least. So if there is still lots of powder on the streets, there is still lots of opportunity to put a bomb on an airplane.

All the TSA/government is really doing is trying to fool the general public into thinking they are being proactive.

Having been in the travel industry for a number of years I have seen first hand just what a joke this supposed security system is. It's the usual way governments like to deal with things, brute force and ignorance.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is one obvious answer... choose destinations outside the US. These rules only apply to flights from foreign countries into the US, e.g. Canada-US, UK-US, etc. They do not apply to Canada-Canada, UK-UK, Canada-UK, etc.

The world is big. There are a lot of airports to which to fly.

The other answer is to wait. In a month things will likely have significantly settled down.

I'm heading to San Diego in February. If this problem appears to be persisting, I expect that I'll ship my film to my hotel and either ship unprocessed or unexposed film home and pack any film I have time to get processed in my checked baggage. If the problem persists much beyond that, my planned June trip to Chicago and Denver may end up being a Canadian or European trip instead.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After the bombing of Yemen the knee jerk will subside for a while. These wars against radical humans will be forever or until the end of man, I for one feel luck to have survived this long. It's a matter of how lucky you are and what you will be able to give up in the name of security, real or imagined. Keep your mind active when traveling, your best defense is personal vigilance. I was in the air traveling from LA to Seattle and just about over Portland at the very same time that DB Cooper was bailing out over the forest land. When we got to Seattle the place was a buzz with news of the hijacking.

Back then you could go to the airport, get on a plane, take off, then pay the Stewardess, Flight Attendant, in cash with no ID and continue on your flight. How things have changed. It was a lot like getting on a city bus back then.

The future will be quite different than even today, major restrictions are in order for human movement, it's not going to be a very easy or friendly World.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Back then you could go to the airport, get on a plane, take off, then pay the Stewardess, Flight Attendant, in cash with no ID and continue on your flight. How things have changed. It was a lot like getting on a city bus back then.
    Interestingly, this is almost exactly what Mr. AbdulMutallab did, if I understand the news reports correctly. He bought his ticket, $2800, with cash. He was able to check in without a passport. Of course he did this at the terminal, not on the plane, but still...

I've only flown a little in the past few years but if film becomes very difficult to carry on a plane, maybe I'll just drive.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    I don't understand why my ticket costs the same and I am only allowed the same luggage allowance as somebody who weighs a lot more than me.
    Using logic like that and being smaller sure you'll win on airplanes (and other places) but just be ready for a situation where the same logic will be applied and you'll lose out - no complaining then huh :P
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    35mm

Flying with film...effect of Delta 'bomber'?

I'm on a photo-trip right now planning on flying back on New Year's eve. I generally take my fresh film on my carry-on with me and bring my exposed film back the same way. I don't worry about the carry-on xray machine damaging my film and so far it hasn't. But with the recent Delta airlines 'crotch bomber' incident, I'm worried about TSA goons confiscating my film, telling me I can't take it, or fogging it during a 'search'. My camera equipment can be repurchased my my latent images can't. Should I Priority Mail my exposed film back?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I'm on a photo-trip right now planning on flying back on New Year's eve. I generally take my fresh film on my carry-on with me and bring my exposed film back the same way. I don't worry about the carry-on xray machine damaging my film and so far it hasn't. But with the recent Delta airlines 'crotch bomber' incident, I'm worried about TSA goons confiscating my film, telling me I can't take it, or fogging it during a 'search'. My camera equipment can be repurchased my my latent images can't. Should I Priority Mail my exposed film back?
    I would mail it back to myself.

Isn't it interesting how millions of decent passengers now have to suffer even more because of an airline security screw-up? I undersand the guy got on the plane without a passport! It seems, we don't have to strengthen the security measures, we just need to apply them. Empowering the incompetent and punishing the innocent, nothing new there.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I would mail it back to myself.

Isn't it interesting how millions of decent passengers now have to suffer even more because of an airline security screw-up? I undersand the guy got on the plane without a passport! It seems, we don't have to strengthen the security measures, we just need to apply them. Empowering the incompetent and punishing the innocent, nothing new there.
    The way these things work is that they give rise to lots of rumours, blowing an already bad incident up to monstrous proportions.

Part of those workings of terrorism is what we read above, someone saying that the guy didn't even had a passport.
    It was checked more than once, and he did. He also had a valid U.S. visum, allowing entry to the U.S.

Don't help terrorism by spreading tall stories about how incredibly unsafe things are.
    And don't help authorities impose restrictions on us that serve no practical purpose other than imposing restrictions by doing the same.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nope

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The price of freedom is facing personal "risk"; for example, systemically the presumption of innocence means some bad people will get away so that I/we don't get put away by mistake. This means I face the risk of a bad person getting away and hurting me.

The price of personal security is our freedom, how much are we willing to give up?

For today the mail makes the most sense.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin