Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,941   Online: 1002

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    what we need to do is to throw all these ridiculous security measures overboard and start being normal people again instead of overly scared lemmings. Air plane bombings and hijacking is nothing new, it's just overblown by the media. Where there is a will there is a way, even for terrorists. Few days ago here in Belgium a mad man succeeded in just walking towards a plane on the airfield after he jumped the fence, just imagine what a well trained terrorist might achieve, airfields have become big in size meaning it's almost impossible to control all that space.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Indeed.

I'm always reminded of the silliness we had here concerning the border the town i live in lies on, and the way they tried to defend both neighbouring nations against undesired elements from the other.
    We had three 'official' border crossings, then still guarded. You couldn't get past one without going through silly checks.
    In between these border crossings were (still are) wooded areas, with country lanes, roads, foot paths, etc.: plenty opportunity to cross the border either direction without being checked. They did patrol the border, yes. But it was easy enough to hide behind some trees, waiting for the patrol to drive of out of sight.

That still is exemplary for all sorts of security checks. Much ado about nothing: for every check they invent, there are many ways of getting around it, and millions of things they 'still' don't check.
    What the incident now shows (again) is how futile these security measures mostly are. Or at the very least, how the inconvenience they cause is in no proportion to the good they might do.

That sounds very cynical, when people's survival is concerned. But who are we kidding when we believe that these checks prevent people putting their lives at risk?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    FedEx is also a preferred method of sending film back. Whatever you do, don't saw the film to your underwear. Grin.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    Whatever you do, don't saw the film to your underwear. Grin.
    That sounds extremely painful

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even spelled correctly it sounds extremely uncomfortable!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Goose View Post
    what we need to do is to throw all these ridiculous security measures overboard and start being normal people again instead of overly scared lemmings. Air plane bombings and hijacking is nothing new, it's just overblown by the media. Where there is a will there is a way, even for terrorists. Few days ago here in Belgium a mad man succeeded in just walking towards a plane on the airfield after he jumped the fence, just imagine what a well trained terrorist might achieve, airfields have become big in size meaning it's almost impossible to control all that space.
    But without terrorism, how would the government justify to control us?

As Mark said, how much freedom are you willing to give up to be free?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Why is Fedex a preferred method?

Normally I fly with several small cameras, my Speed Graphic, and 10 film holders in my backpack 'personal item'. When I flew out, they took my Speed Graphic aside and ran a magical divining scepter over it. Apparently it was free of demons. But I understand if the magical divining analyzer beeps, then they get to keep your item, and they can't retest because of the false negative rate. Considering that I have been shooting and hunting several times on this trip, and photographing same, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there was gunshot residue somewhere on my equipment.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On a trip to Paris in November, at Liverpool Airport, the 'magical divining scepter' found a trace of something on my Mamiya C330s. They re-tested and again the 'magic divining analyzer' tested positive. Five people surrounded me and my camera and the head honcho looked at me, then at the camera and back at me.
    "What, exactly, is it?" he said.
    " A camera!" I say
    "Professional or personal use?"
    "Both" I say
    "Have you cleaned it recently" he says
    "Yes, two days ago with vinegar based window cleaner" (Don't ask....)
    A big sigh of relief all round, a few forms filled out ( on which my wife saw 'TNT' on the top) and off I went with camera and film in bag.
    I'm now probably on some database somewhere for suspected terrorists - the worlds gone bleedin' mad.
    Happy New Year!
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like a good tip. I'll be sure to mention something about vinegar stop bath or something if that happens to me. Any ideas what demonic properties vinegar has that trip the magical divining sceptors?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmiller View Post
    On a trip to Paris in November, at Liverpool Airport, the 'magical divining scepter' found a trace of something on my Mamiya C330s. They re-tested and again the 'magic divining analyzer' tested positive. Five people surrounded me and my camera and the head honcho looked at me, then at the camera and back at me.
    "What, exactly, is it?" he said.
    " A camera!" I say
    "Professional or personal use?"
    "Both" I say
    "Have you cleaned it recently" he says
    "Yes, two days ago with vinegar based window cleaner" (Don't ask....)
    A big sigh of relief all round, a few forms filled out ( on which my wife saw 'TNT' on the top) and off I went with camera and film in bag.
    I'm now probably on some database somewhere for suspected terrorists - the worlds gone bleedin' mad.
    Happy New Year!
    I had a similar experience flying out of New Orleans (Sping of the year Katrina hit). Somehow my gear bag picked up gunpower residue, probably when I was in the French Quarter. I spent an hour and a half backed into a corner and blocked by three TSA agents while another checked, rechecked and cross checked my gear and film.

Since that time my luggage gets tossed by TSA every time I fly. They leave some idiot notice in my bag to let me know my bag was searched by them. Oddly, I don't feel any safer....

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin