Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,629   Online: 956

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Flying with Film: New Rules?

The recent case of in-flight pyrotechnics resulted in quite a mess at the Toronto airport (perhaps other airports, too):

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...ut-banned?bn=1

"U.S.-bound fliers will only be able to bring aboard the following: medical devices, small purses, cameras, laptop computers, canes, walkers, diaper bags, musical instruments and bags containing 'life-sustaining items.'"

My film supplies have attracted attention in the past--what now? Does anyone have any intel as to where it's going or what the specific regulations are? (Please don't speculate--I'm worried as it is already. )

They present it as a temporary measure, anyway. Fingers crossed.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Virgin Atlantic response

I'm flying to US from UK in January for photo trip so this is of interest to me too. I would normally carry 150 to 200 rolls Ilford FP4 120 but will now buy a lot of this over there and have processed locally where possible.

I have asked Virgin, Delta and US TSA (Transport Security) for advice on what to do and so far just received reply from Virgin:

'From 26 December 2009 additional security measures have been put into place for all flights going to the US. This includes extra screening of passengers and hand baggage at the gate immediately before boarding.

In order to minimise delays and congestion we are asking all passengers to arrive at the gate early. Hand baggage allowances for all passengers flying into all US airports has been reduced to only one item of hand baggage. This item should not exceed 23 x 36 x 56cm, (approx 9 x 14 x 22 inches) and 13lb/6kg in weight, and should only contain the items you need during the flight.

In the light of above, you may carry film rolls as part of hand /hold baggage. However, it is advisable you inform the check in staff that you are carrying film rolls to avoid damage.'

This isn't exactly definitive but implies they will allow film as hand luggage.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What would concern me more than the film, because I can buy that in the U.S, is a maximum of 13 lb hand baggage for my photo gear, I don't think they weigh the passengers yet, I'd wear my photovest, and stuff some equipment in the pockets.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    What would concern me more than the film, because I can buy that in the U.S, is a maximum of 13 lb hand baggage for my photo gear, I don't think they weigh the passengers yet, I'd wear my photovest, and stuff some equipment in the pockets.
    I agree. I like to travel with my whole plate gear. That would make traveling with more than one lens an issue. I can send my film and holders ahead of me.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    leave the film(if you're shooting 35mm or 120/220) in its factory-sealed packages(35mm in canisters, unboxed from 5-roll/individual boxes, but still in the factory canister. At least with 120, they(TSA) generally swab it, and if you tell the ticket counter that you need to have a hand search done, they've taken me in back to a room, and have swabbed each individual roll(this was last year, from LAX to Dallas/Ft. Worth AA flight). 120, take out of boxes(20 or 5 roll), put in gallon ziploc bags(clear), but leave in foil wrapper.

so, it was less of a hassle, cause they checked ME there too, so I didn't have to wait in line at the x-ray machines . just a little fore-warning on their part, and arriving 1hr earlier saved me some headaches with the looney-bins I've encountered working the x-ray/body scanner machines....

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I fly in/out of YYZ and YTO to/from the US all the time - and I mean about 12 times a years at least. Each time I have always carried my big shiny yellow Hassey, at least 2 lenses, several rolls of film unpackaged in a clear plastic bag, and often a companion camera - anything from a Holga to a Pentax110 to a LOMO Fisheye - in my LowePro backpack. The routine in YYZ is that they pull always pull me aside, open my camera bag, swab and test, look around, ask me questions, look at my shiny Hassey move me along. Takes an extra 5 minutes. None of my liberties taken away or anything. Don't sweat it. Don't listen to nonsense posts that will surely be posted.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, but Art there are now new regulations for flights to the US, so all that went before is currently irrelevant, and will vary from country to country and even individual airports.

Unfortunately people are suffering because the US Dept of Homeland Security systems just didn't work despite the fact the current problems emanate from an incident were the person was already on the International list of Terror suspects.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't understand why my ticket costs the same and I am only allowed the same luggage allowance as somebody who weighs a lot more than me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Yes, but Art there are now new regulations for flights to the US, so all that went before is currently irrelevant, and will vary from country to country and even individual airports.

Unfortunately people are suffering because the US Dept of Homeland Security systems just didn't work despite the fact the current problems emanate from an incident were the person was already on the International list of Terror suspects.
    I am unconcerned. Much ado about nothing. I may even tell you all about it from an airport lounge.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    my advice is

1) good luck,
    2) ship ahead of you if possible or order things to be delivered to your hotel or you can mail things to any US Post Office "General Delivery" with your name. Then just show up at the post office for that zip code, show photo ID, and get your parcel. They will hold things for 30 days.
    3) leave things in factory boxes if going through security.

Airport security likes to open *something* when they do a hand inspection and I would prefer it to be the factory box than the foil wrapper. Also, the false positive rate can be high on the sniffer machines. This is a problem when they are individually scanning 100 rolls of film. I had a problem with less than 10. When the alarm sounds, it is not fun...and they won't retest...it is against the rules (because of the corresponding false negative rate).

Have a fun trip!

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin