Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,416   Online: 792

Shooter
    35mm

Need some suggestions for a grad:

Sorry if there's been many threads posted about this before.

I need a grad ND to shoot Velvia without blowing out highlights. Most likely I'll get a square filter instead of the screw-in types. I probably won't be getting a holder either since it gets in the way of my lens hoods, and most likely I'll just handhold the filter in front of the lens (with the camera on a tripod). My friend does this with his grads and it seems to work well.

My friend uses Cokin for his stuff(mostly d*****l) and seems to be doing fine, but I heard that Cokins give color casts. He uses a 2 and 3 stop hard. Its price is attractive however.

From reading at other sites it seems that Hi-tech filters get recommended a lot, and the price is right.
    This is what I'll most likely be getting:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ed_ND_0_6.html

So any recommendations or thoughts for a grad?

By the way I'm on a budget (<$50 for a single filter) so Lees or Singh Rays are out of the question.

Many Thanks,
    James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is the filter size of your lens?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you are on a budget, why not using a black card instead of a filter? You can make the edge hard of soft depending on the distance between the filter to the lens. You will have to make double exposure though, and I dont know if the camera you use will allow you that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, my camera (Nikon N90) doesn't allow for a double exposure. As for my filter size, it's 52mm, but I'm not interested in a screw in grad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is it you don't like about screw in filters?

Shooter
    35mm
    Well the center graduated line doesn't look too attractive. Also one of my lenses has a rotating filter thread that rotates with focus, which poses a big inconvenience. . It'll be much easier just handholding the filter in front of the lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin