Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,693   Online: 837

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Man, if that's a professional camera, I would hate to see an amateur one (f/10 max aperture? 3 element plastic lens? is this competition for Holga?)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Polaroid was a pioneer in plastic lenses. They are quite good, and certainly good enough for what the instant Spectra-type film can deliver.

This is an interesting question.

Have we got the technology to produce plastic to the level of glass now.

Obviously anything plastic a few years ago was considered junk. I'm wondering if we have reached a stage where plastic can come close to the quality of glass. Both are man made manufactured products and what is to say that at least one day plastic could not replace glass.

Just asking.

Michael McBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Don't some lens companies mold aspherical plastic surfaces onto a spherical glass lens elements as a way of drastically reducing the cost of aspherical lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    This is an interesting question.
    Have we got the technology to produce plastic to the level of glass now.
    I wonder if a better question might be:
    Have we lowered the bar to such a degree that plastic lenses are professional grade?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    The limiting factor of a given system isn't always the lens, and to equip the sytem with a higher quality lens than the system is capable of utilising would only serve to make the system more expensive while adding nothing to the quality of the final product.
    I agree that the lens is probably the equal of the film. What really bothers me is that the camera is labeled professional. I doubt there are many 'Pros' who would use this thing. Meanwhile, some sucker who loved his dad's Polaroid folder is going to buy this and be very disappointed/mis-lead.

I get some beautiful polaroids from P/N 55. Quality I am hard pressed to believe could be equalled with a plastic lens. I have an old polaroid folder that gives great images -- I suspect much better than this camera. They have the goods to build a true pro camera, but I suspect they figure producing a consumer camera and calling it Professional is more profitable.

It isn't worth getting upset over. It is just annoying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspect there is and I also suspect that it is cheaper than a digiCam. I also would love nothing more than to see Polaroid succeed and keep developing new and better product.

Maybe it's only going to be used by fine art photograpers, not professionals.

Tom "they use Holgas" Duffy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Then wouldn't they have called it the polaroid 1200 dye transfer, unsharp mask azo print alternate process fine art platinum?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin