Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,107   Online: 875

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Where do you get foam for your cases?

Hello,

I seriously need camera cases. Finding a large Halliburton case in an antique mall in need of foam (it had none at all) for $30 inspired me to grab a few $2 hardshell suitcases at the Goodwill. I have plans to gut them and convert them into camera cases and free up some drawer/cabinet space for other things.

What is the best source for high-quality foam that can be cut as needed?

Any particular brands/retailers about which you could share experiences?

Thanks in advance.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    pelican
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try a good upholstery shop or specialty foam shop. You should be able to find various grades and firmness. Avoid the cheap white stuff; it degrades into small particles designed to get into your camera mechanicals.

I like 1 to 1.5 in of flat foam on the bottom, topped with a 2 in. piece cut to match my equipment (you can have various "versions" of this layer to match different equipment). On the top, I like using "egg crate" foam. A very sharp fillet knife works well for cutting.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Look at McMaster-Carr for high density foam.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have lined cases and rolling convertible school backpacks with closed cell foam (usually blue) 'camping' sleeping pads to turn them into equipment cases. This foam is also freqently seen at the goodwill/thrift store, or is inexpensively bought at a camping supply store. They line the inside walls of the case. I have had good sucess making Internal dividers from doubled up foam core board. I use scotch 77 spray glue to join the panels, and then cut them as one. I join them with clear packing tape, and cover edges with packing tape as well.

I have several different foam core dividers that fit my cases.

For instance, one backpack insert is for my Crown Graphic, spot meter, and about 10 film holders, with external pockets holding filters, loupe, etc.
    Another insert for the same case holdes a C330 TLR with lens up to 180, and a Metz 60CT flash rig, and has room for a few other lenses.
    The third insert holds 2 SLR bodies and a whack of lenses for the lightweight nature walk. There is room for a windbreaker, water bottle and lunch in this divider.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Try a good upholstery shop or specialty foam shop. You should be able to find various grades and firmness. Avoid the cheap white stuff; it degrades into small particles designed to get into your camera mechanicals.

I like 1 to 1.5 in of flat foam on the bottom, topped with a 2 in. piece cut to match my equipment (you can have various "versions" of this layer to match different equipment). On the top, I like using "egg crate" foam. A very sharp fillet knife works well for cutting.
    +1 on an upholstery shop. I rigged a cheap backpack with such foam more than thirty years ago when I started hiking about with a 35mm kit. Two bodies, 4 lenses, and tons of misc. small items. Still have it, still use it.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have bought numerous foam sets for my many Halliburton cases from this seller on Ebay. He is in Rochester and is a very reliable and straightforward vendor. The sets look very OEM like with the egg crates pattern for the tops and are cut very precisely for the Halliburton cases which he also sells in mint condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOAM-KIT-INSERT-...item1c0ea3860f

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Old hard shell suitcases also work well when new foam is added. And don't advertise that the contents are valuable.

The closed cell foam that Mike mentions is particularly useful in a backpack arrangement (as the layer between your back and the equipment).

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sleeping mats for backpackers.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi 2/F,
    I've bought "pick and pluck" foam from Foamerica several times.
    Reasonable price and really quick delivery.
    Here's their website.
    http://www.foamerica.biz/pelicanfoam.html

Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin