Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,006   Online: 942

Shooter
    35mm

What camera/film combo would produce these looks?

Hi there,

I am relatively new to film (one week in actually). For the last few years I have been shooting digital but I have felt there was something missing. It was all too simple. Too boring. Too easy. So I have arrived at film and loooving it so far!

I'm currently shooting with a Yashica T4 (yeah, just point and shoot at this stage) and Portra 400 NC/VC film. I'm still coming to grips with a bunch of the new terminology so excuse me if I'm not up to speed yet - I'm still very much a newbie at this game.

I have a simple question. What camera/film combinations would produce around about results similiar to the following photographs?

Thank you very much for your time and if I have put this in the wrong forum I apologise! Point me in the right direction and I'll remove and repost

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Firstly, hi Alexandros, and welcome to APUG!

The camera is less important than the film type. All film cameras are basically a light-tight box with a lens and shutter on the front. As you progress into film photography you will come to understand that it is lenses and film that are the more important factors. For the time being stick with what you have, get used to its idiosyncracies.

Regarding your question:

The first picture I'm not sure, there are others here who are better informed on colour film in low light situations.

The second, looking at the grain, I would hazard a guess at either Ilford HP5+ 400 speed film, or Kodak Tri-X 400. Also the second photograph is most likely a photoshop construction, the car being added in later. As far as camera goes, pretty much any 35mm camera could have made the ingredients of that picture.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Firstly, hi Alexandros, and welcome to APUG!

The camera is less important than the film type. All film cameras are basically a light-tight box with a lens and shutter on the front. As you progress into film photography you will come to understand that it is lenses and film that are the more important factors. For the time being stick with what you have, get used to its idiosyncracies.
    Thanks for the introduction buddy. I guess it's quite similiar to digital in that respect then. I spent more money on my lenses as opposed to the body. Thanks for the advice and I'll remember that when I start looking for an SLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Regarding your question:

The first picture I'm not sure, there are others here who are better informed on colour film in low light situations.

The second, looking at the grain, I would hazard a guess at either Ilford HP5+ 400 speed film, or Kodak Tri-X 400. Also the second photograph is most likely a photoshop construction, the car being added in later. As far as camera goes, pretty much any 35mm camera could have made the ingredients of that picture.
    Haha, yeah I'm not so interested in the subject more so the grain! I really love the grain. Thanks for the tips. Already just browsing I've heard a wee bit about this Tri-X so I'll go do some research on this bad boy and see what I find! Cheers mate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Αλέξανδρε, that BW picture doesn't really tell us much. The only assumption we can make is that a grainy film was probably used, as Andy K said. Apart from that, the soft look could be a result of many things, which are not related with any film. And also keep in mind that a negative is only an intermediate stage, it's not a final image. The different paths someone can take affect the result. A hybrid workflow (scanning) can give very different output compared to an all analog print. Reproduction of an already printed image can also make a huge difference. Anyway, sorry for being somewhat vague and disheartening, but that's pretty much the truth...

Shooter
    35mm
    The first photo, looks to me like some sort of tungsten film like 320T. But who knows? Why not email the photographer: Jamal Shabazz?

The second looks like a movie still. Is it? If so, what movie?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatever film that fisrt image is, it is white balance corrected. Either in the film or on thae camera (through using a filter) or later in printing or Photoshop. Daylight film in fuorescent light would have a green tint, obviously missing here. Please remember that one of the "disadvantages" of film is that it is white balanced to only one condition and you have to manage it in artificial light through either using the right temperature film or using a filter.

No idea what that second one is, but Tri-x of HP5 is just as probable, but the car does not have the same grain as the rest of the picture and is therefore a PS add in...K
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangheye View Post
    Whatever film that fisrt image is, it is white balance corrected. Either in the film or on thae camera (through using a filter) or later in printing or Photoshop. Daylight film in fuorescent light would have a green tint, obviously missing here.
    Yup:

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi alexandros

no need to worry about your t4 ..
    that is a great camera!
    was have one, but it is unusable
    we put too many rolls of film through it
    and the focus system refuses to focus ...

enjoy! ( and welcome! )
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin