Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,724   Online: 914

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Could be condensation on the lens or filter too.
    good point
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Could be condensation on the lens or filter too.
    Interesting! I don't use a filter on the lens and it isn't on every exposure so I'm wondering if it could be condensation. It has been cold when I've been out and about.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tony
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the kind of flare never seen with most modern Multi-coated lenses but it does seem to happen with some older coated lenses, I get it with my Yashicamat 124 sometimes (with a lens hood) and there's nothing you can do to prevent it as you're shooting straight at the bright sky.

It's just detectable in this shot.

I don't remember ever having an issue with my coated 80mm Sekor on my C33, check how clean the lens is, slight surfaces scratches/cleaning marks are enough to cause this too, or slight internal haze.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Flare is certainly a possibility but I don't think a light leak can be ruled out yet.
    Pinholes in bellows can cause light leaks which don't affect film rebates, so can lens mount issues. Light leaks don't necessarily affect every frame either - bellows extension, hand position, direction of light, time the frame spends in the gate - all can be relevant.
    I've even seen ghost images caused by pinholes in bellows.
    It's easy enough to test for light leaks and this would be my next check if a thorough examination of the negs and a quick visual inspection of the camera & lens were inconclusive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

That's classic flare unclemack. The large area of very bright sky in the middle/top is the give away. Light leaks would affect a high proportion of the images.

I had a brand new Multi-coated Hoya 28mm lens, in the 70's, that flared like that despite it's claimed coating, it was very sharp but unusable if the sun wasn't directly behind, and even on a cloudy day flared if there was bright sky in the frame. The whole Hoya lens range disappeared because of these problems.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmiller View Post
    Interesting! I don't use a filter on the lens and it isn't on every exposure so I'm wondering if it could be condensation. It has been cold when I've been out and about.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tony
    With a TLR you're probably using the built-in magnifier with the waist level viewer, right? With your face so close to the lenses your own breath could be the culprit. It's even possible to fog lenses with your warm hands as you adjust the shutter or aperture.

You didn't use your breath to blow off any dust specs, right?

FWIW, it doesn't look like ordinary lens flare nor pin hole leaks to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    @Mike1234 - good points here (although I don't recall cleaning the lens with my breath )

I'm still a bit confused why it seems to have started happening recently although I have a feeling it may be a combination of things mentioned here.

Anyway thanks for all the replies and advice.

- Tony
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The colder and damper it gets the greater the chance for fog. Leave the camera out for five minutes and it gets cold. Put it inside your jacket to warm it up and steam from your body will collect on the cold camera... yet another source of fog caused by condensation.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ian, I'm looking at the white line, top left vertical edge of the rebate. This appears to me to be reflected light from (possibly) the lower film roller and I can't think how flare from the lens can reach the roller at that intensity.
    Unless it's an artifact and not actually on the negative. The same may be true of the small vertical scratch I can see.
    I tried not to jump to conclusions but to arrive at a certain diagnosis before proceeding with repairs - but then I'm 10 years retired from camera repair and forgetting more every day.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Occam's razor...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin