Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,944   Online: 926
      
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,187
    Images
    148
    Good point but that's 90 degrees to the rollers, however I was out shooting 2 days ago and came across a similar lighting condition for a short spell, and shooting into the light was impossible.

    In the shot in question the shadows are soft yet the top centre of the image is heavily burnt out, but it's not like bright sunlight it's more a wall of light.

    What I found while shooting on Thursday, a bright mostly sunny day was some slight cloud suddenly took the blue sky reading from from Zone VI to about zone XI/XII, that's before taking into account the actual lighting on the subject had dropped. I suddenly had that wall of light behind what I was photographing. When the cloud passed I could shoot again despite the bright direct sunlight only just being out of the frame.

    It's harder to describe than the reality.

    Ian

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Texas, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,885
    Ian, I understand what you're saying. But the OP's images don't appear to have a similar problem. It REALLY looks like a steamed lens to me.

  3. #23
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,187
    Images
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Ian, I understand what you're saying. But the OP's images don't appear to have a similar problem. It REALLY looks like a steamed lens to me.
    Mike, believe me the OP's image shows the EXACT problem I'm describing and had to dodge out on the example I posted.

    If the lens was steamed up then it's rather a coincidence it just happens to match the heavily overexposed area of sky

    Ian

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Texas, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Mike, believe me the OP's image shows the EXACT problem I'm describing and had to dodge out on the example I posted.

    If the lens was steamed up then it's rather a coincidence it just happens to match the heavily overexposed area of sky
    I'm not always right, Ian, but often am. We'll see...

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,181
    Has this happend to other pics from that camera in different situations?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

  6. #26
    ajmiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    425
    Images
    11
    just a quick update - I'm waiting for my latest batch of film to come back from the lab so I'll have a bit better idea when it does, especially as I've made some notes on weather, temperature, direction of light etc.
    One question that did spring to mind this morning was: Is it possible to damage the lens coating by shooting into strong light/ sunlight?
    regards,

    Tony

  7. #27
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,187
    Images
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmiller View Post
    One question that did spring to mind this morning was: Is it possible to damage the lens coating by shooting into strong light/ sunlight?
    No of course not, coatings are quite robust, physical wear and tear yes, sunlight no.

    Ian

  8. #28
    AshenLight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northeastern MA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    156
    I've seen this as well with my C330s & 80mm. Using the lens shade eliminated the problem.

    Ash

  9. #29
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,187
    Images
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmiller View Post
    just a quick update - I'm waiting for my latest batch of film to come back from the lab so I'll have a bit better idea when it does, especially as I've made some notes on weather, temperature, direction of light etc.
    One question that did spring to mind this morning was: Is it possible to damage the lens coating by shooting into strong light/ sunlight?
    Tony this image posted by Cheryl Jacobs illustrates clearly your exact problem, in her case the Bronica 75mm lens is Multicoated.

    Ian

  10. #30
    ajmiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    425
    Images
    11
    Ok - thanks!
    regards,

    Tony

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin