Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,482   Posts: 1,571,166   Online: 1248

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format

Using a monopod - slowest shutter speed?

Hi All,
    I just bought a monopod (Velbon RUP-L43). Maybe I should have asked this before I did that but .... I got it for hiking in the mountains (and low light). It only weighs 1lb, compared to about 3.5lbs for my tripod, and doubles up as a walking pole (though I don't consider myself old enough to [I]require[I]that yet!).

I was wondering, for those who use a monopod what shutter speed advantage they find they get compared to hand-holding. More simply, what is the slowest shutter speed you use with your camera on a monopod?

Hand-holding I am fine down to a 1/30th sec. I have occassionally got good results down to an 1/8th, but only if I can brace myself against some other object. This is using standard to wide angle lens'. With the monopod I was hoping to get down to at least a 1/4sec. Possible?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Posted wirelessly..

If you can brace it high against a fence or a tree and breathe out before you hit the shutter, speeds could get real slow. Experiment and see what you're capable of.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't find a monopod all that stable for those slow speeds. I have a couple of lightweight tripods that I use instead. Although not as convenient as a monopod, work at any speed.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Hi All,

I was wondering, for those who use a monopod what shutter speed advantage they find they get compared to hand-holding. More simply, what is the slowest shutter speed you use with your camera on a monopod?
    Hallo,

Way back when we used to use monopods with sports work and for static sports, such as golf, we were able to shoot velvia 50 at 1/60th using 500 or 600mm lenses.

The key we found is subject movement (obviously) , being able to "be still" yourself; breathing, low to the ground and squeezing the shutter. Wider lenses are easier than telephotos. But everyone is different so this really is a case that you will have to try to find your limits for yourself.

If you can brace yourself and/or the pod against something that will help enormously.

Sim2.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Highly dependent on the focal length of the lens. The general rule for the general population is to not hand-hold at speeds slower than 1/focal length (for example 1/125 sec with a 125mm lens.)

So what lens are you successfully hand holding at 1/30 sec? Probably not a 210mm lens. So the question should be -- "How many stops slower in shutter speed can one use when using a monopod compared to hand holding the same lens?"

And I don't know. Pure guessing I'd say 3 or 4 (depends on being able to brace, wind conditions, how cold you are, how much coffee you drank, etc!). Time to tape the newspaper classifieds to the wall and fire a couple test shots at different speeds!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depending on the size lens, maybe 1/15 to 1/18 sec.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Posted wirelessly..

Me and monopod braced firmly, once a pulled off a four second exposure in low light on the third try. I could tell I was moving on the first two. And it came out good in an 8x10. Doubt I could do it again. It's gonna vary from one circumstance to the next.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends a lot on your technique - vertical unbraced monopod versus leaning into the pod versus pod held against a solid object. Probably two stops slower than hand-holding (and there's a lot of technique there...). Held firmly against a solid object, maybe 1 sec.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As others have said, it depends on the lens, as well as the camera (SLR/RF, etc.), your own breath control and steadiness or lack thereof, etc., etc. I have used monopods for many years, and with an SLR and normal (or close to) lens, I can shoot down to 1/15 easily, 1/8 or even longer with good breath control and something to lean against. I'm shooting dance performances now in dark theaters with an 80-200 f2.8 on a monopod at 1/125, but will sometimes go as low as 1/60 if needed. Any lower and subject motion will be too great an issue.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steady your breathing, spread your legs to shoulders wide, and then you on two legs and the monopod can begin to approach a tripod in stability. Practice tucking your elbows in. It helps if the monopod brings the camera to eye height without having to crouch down at all. I pull off 1/8 with a 180mm lens in such an arrangement.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin