Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,423   Online: 1053

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must have a different design. The head mounting plate screws right out of the column tube, while it is still in the legs. There is a bolt in the middle of that assembly, but, like the head, it was going nowhere. I tried, after freezing, using a wrench on that bolt with a strap wrench around the body of the head. (a strap wrench designed for plumbing) I also tried it with channnel lock pliers around the diameter of the plate.
    Are there some metals that tend to fuse when they're held in contact for extend periods? This has likely been the case with this combo for at least 2 decades.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ummm, If you can keep the base section from rotating you could mount it in a vise & if you have some sort of protrusion you can rest a piece of wood against. You can smack the wood>protrusion a good one & it might let go.

You say the bolt in the bottom not going anywhere, could you mount the head in a vise, mount a socket or box wrench with a cheater bar & give it a twist.

Depending how high the camera ACTUALLY has to be, think about a tripod for a spotting scope. I have one that is 14" long collapsed & 14" full extended(kinda short) but, You can hold it against a tree, wall picnic table, large bear etc.
    Last edited by John Koehrer; 03-01-2010 at 07:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by C A Sugg View Post
    I must have a different design. The head mounting plate screws right out of the column tube, while it is still in the legs. There is a bolt in the middle of that assembly, but, like the head, it was going nowhere. I tried, after freezing, using a wrench on that bolt with a strap wrench around the body of the head. (a strap wrench designed for plumbing) I also tried it with channnel lock pliers around the diameter of the plate.
    Are there some metals that tend to fuse when they're held in contact for extend periods? This has likely been the case with this combo for at least 2 decades.
    Metal can rust and be difficult to remove, aluminum and brass can seize, but in this case, I think your missing something. Can you post some pictures? I have a 3050 and if it is the same, maybe can figure out why your having this problem.

Most things come apart although sometimes not apparent to you.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

Use Bogen Hex Q.R. For Tripods & Heads

Let me make an interesting suggestion to you, once you get the head removed from the tripod.

Get a couple of older, ( non-level ) Bogen Hex Quick Releases. Mount the base to the tripod

column. Use the hex plate with the flush screw, not the screw & locking dial.

This is obtainable in 1/4-20, or 3/8-16. Mount the hex plate to the tripod heads.

Since you have 2 tripods; the Gitzo & the Bogen 3050. Also 2 tripod heads, as mentioned

above, you will be able to switch heads between tripods in seconds, so you

can use the best tripod head & tripod, for the job.

I own a 3250, ( black ) & a black Auto Dolly. These 2 make a dynamite

combination, but I won't take it outside. I bought the tripod refurbished,

by Bogen, from a dealer. The original owner used it on the beach.

That's just dumb for an auto tripod, but it's great for studio use.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There's a company called Karlu has some exploded drawings of Manfrotto tripods etc. which might give you a hint - they supply parts too, seem like helpful people.

http://www.karlu.com/manfrotto_spare_parts.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you haven't gotten it apart yet, have you thought about sending the head & plate to Bogen?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If your head's stuck on a bogen, does that mean we can give you an ear bashing? LOL
    Here in Australia, a "bogan" is probably what you Americans call trailer trash.
    Mike
    PS I hope I haven't offende anyone but I couldn't resist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two countries separated by a common language.
    AKA "I'll be stuffed"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi, sorry for the out-of-date link for Karlu. I should have checked it first but I'm from the olden days when companies didn't play musical chairs every five f-----g minutes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
    Hi, sorry for the out-of-date link for Karlu. I should have checked it first but I'm from the olden days when companies didn't play musical chairs every five f-----g minutes.
    I wondered about that. All I could find looking around were some recent Manfrotto brochures.
    As I said, this one is quite vintage, with baggage stickers from an airline that left the scene in 1989. The website of an outfit that sells manfrotto parts listed those for this variant as unavailable. (round column)
    I've got someone coming by whose interested in it as configured, so it would be best not to further risk damaging the head.
    I really like those legs, but already having the Gitzo and a Husky Quick Set, it's a little redundant.
    Thanks,
    Charles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin