Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,235   Online: 1189

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Head stuck on Bogen 3050

I picked up a old but servicable Bogen 3050 with a 3063 video head. I wish to use it with an NPC Prohead (Amrus Shpigel joint) however, the existing head is stuck. I did remove the set screws. I understand that this can be a shortcoming of some Bogens. Assuming a previous owner didn't glue the head on, does anyone have any tips for removing it? Or should I just pass it on to a "kinetic imaging" student?
    Thanks,
    Charles Sugg

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, first locate a set of channel-lock pliers. Take the column off by pulling up out of the tripod. Put a screwdriver through the holes at the bottom so that the column won't rotate. Hold the column on a bench or table, with the head hanging off the side. Grip the base of the head with the channel-locks and rotate to remove.

If this does not work, put the head and column in the freezer for a few hours and try again.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi, I use "Boa Constrictor" tools for jobs like this - just consists of a plastic handle with a reinforced rubber strap - other trade named versions exist.
    They come in different sizes, they don't mark the finish and will remove the most stubborn seized filter too.
    You need two of them, one for the column & one for the head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 on the strap wrench set!
    You could also put a little penetrating oil on the joint between the head & plate & let it work for a while.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all. Just put the head in the freezer. It wouldn't fit with the column on, but the head mount screws out of it. (I hope that wasn't a huge mistake. And also that three plastic bags will protect my food from the "liquid wrench" I put on it yesterday.) There is a bolt head inside.
    Jon, this one doesn't have any kind of holes on the column. An older variation? It's got the remnants of a Piedmont baggage sticker on it.
    Charles

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I had a 3021 tripod, so the construction of the column and mounting plate is probably different. I wasn't able to get enough grip or leverage with strap wrenches when I removed mine. Incidentally, the video head is worth some money. I sold mine on ebay.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No luck with the freezing. Oh well, I have Gitzo G410 legs with both column and flat plate, with which I can go, I think, a little lower and much, much higher. It's just that I had been lusting after one of these because it would be faster to set up.
    So, back together it goes before I foul up the existing head. Hopefully it won't take too long to recoup the $20 invested in it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you tried calling Bogen for tech support? They may have a solution.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have to clamp the alloy casting that is the top of the column on a Manfrotto/Bogen, otherwise if you hold the column tube only there is a good chance you can twist or distort it. You can thread some bolts into the setscrew threads to help secure the column in a vice and use a strap wrench to loosen the head.

Otherwise:

If you remove the plug in the bottom of the column tube you can see the nut that holds the taper plug in place on the top casting. The taper plug spreads the bottom of the casting to hold it into the tube. If you back that nut off a few turns, a few taps on the tube just below the casting with a non marring mallet will loosen the taper plug and you can pull the casting out of the tube. Once you have the casting out of the tube, remove the nut, taper plug and remove the other nut holding the center screw in the casting, you can remove the head with the screw attached. Apply some heat to the screw and it will come right out of the head.

You will need a couple of long 3/8" extensions and a 6 point metric socket to get at the nut in the first place.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Forget all the above advice and go to the emergency room IMMEDIATELY!! How did you get your head stuck on your tripod anyway... a freak accident?? This is serious buisness!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin