Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,210   Online: 1165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Air travel with a lot of equipment

Sometimes I need more than my M6 and the 2/35 lens... I have to travel with a lot of equipment tomorrow, too much to carry it as cabin luggage.

What is your strategy to avoid damage?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pack it well, inside of clothes e.g. and well buried inside your checked bags.

I have a backpack that fits my F5, 17-35/2.8, 80-200/2.8, 16/2.8 fisheye, 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and a flash plus filters and spare batteries. I throw a second body in my checked suitcase and my film is in my carry-on personal item bag.

If you need a tripod, you can get padded tripod bags that you can check.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I won't check anything of value (when I went to NM last year, I put my Bogen 3021/3047 tripod into my checked bag, but, I wouldn't check a camera body or lens). I use a Tamrac Expedition 7 backpack - maximum size which can be carried on (but could be a problem in smaller planes) - holds 2 35mm SLR bodies, 70-200 lens, 3-4 additional lenses and a flash.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Never stow anything "Pawnable" in checked baggage.

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/unite...lves-them.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's why my checked camera is a Nikon F70. I doubt I could get more than $30 for it but it's a good shooter.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There may be a loophole with equipment on planes......

The carry-on bag may be restricted by size/weight but they allow an unweighed camera on the shoulder and they don't weigh things in your coat pocket. It can be suprising how much weight/volume can be taken by two cameras/lenses slung on a shoulder and a few lenses in the pockets of a rather voluminous overcoat!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My cameras always travel in my large pockets , and when necessary one around my neck, the LF equipment goes in the hold baggage. The most valuable items in my carry on bag.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't like checking cameras or lenses, but if I had to, I'd probably use a Pelican case.

I do check my tripod regularly, usually with the head on but the handles loose (unless it's my Arca-Swiss B2, which I carry on in my camera bag), in a Tenba TTP34 case, which I recommend highly. I've checked it many times, and I've watched from the gate as that bag has gone flying off the top of a baggage truck making a sharp turn up to the baggage loading ramp, and everything's always come through without damage, and it is a fairly lightweight case, so it's easy to transport through the airport. It's big enough for a medium sized tripod like a Gitzo 3 and a couple of light stands, but if I just have a tripod, I often put clothing or other things in there.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like you would be better off shipping it than flying with it, if you can.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Consider taking less equipment? I know. It's "hard." But in all honesty do you really need more than 2 bodies and, at max, 3 lenses total?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin