Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,384   Online: 786

View Poll Results: What do you do, when in doubt?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • over expose over develop ?

3 5.26%
  • under expose over develop?

0 0%
  • under expose under develop?

0 0%
  • over expose under develop?

13 22.81%
  • over develop?

5 8.77%
  • under develop?

0 0%
  • over expose?

21 36.84%
  • under expose?

2 3.51%
  • flash my film?

0 0%
  • nothing / i'm zone'd out ...

13 22.81%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: when in doubt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The aim is to be accurate with film exposure and development, knowing that there is some exposure latitude to compensate for error and variation. You can get away with underdevelopment far more easily than with overdevelopment, and you can get away with extreme overexposure better than with slight underexposure. Print quality actually improves with modest film overexposure but is very sensitive to underexposure.
    Overdeveloped negatives will not print easily, but minute underdevelopment is easily corrected with a harder grade of paper. Film exposure latitude is what you can get away with, but when in doubt, overexpose and underdevelop.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    This poll must have the most choices possible of any so far on APUG but the option I need is absent

Guestimate, just few times I've been caught with a flat battery or forgotten the meter etc on a shoot & had to rely on instinct, as a teenager one of my Uncles would challenge me to guess the exposure and we'd be quite close most of the time.

The other important option that's missing is bracket when in doubt.

But better no meter & be in doubt than first forgetting a camera, and then leaving the film behind as well, I've been there when that's happened, and I was the subject (not the photographer) being photographed in the landscape No names he's an APUG member

Ian
    ian

i wanted more options but 10 was the limit!
    guestimate was one of my original choices
    as well as " hey, i ordered a sandwich " but
    i had to prune the tree

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I am uncertain I take another exposure.
    It is better to waste film than images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dunno, all those years shooting a C-3 without a light meter, I dont trust any meter fully, I just shoot what I think is right, and develope accordingly. I get it right 95% of the time. Sunny 11 and the rest be danged!

Rick

Shooter
    Large Format
    i overexpose and pull slightly , it helps to keep strong black borders in my contact prints

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am never in doubt when I have a light meter.

If not, and I am really in doubt, I will guess, and if using transparency film, and the photo will allow it, I will bracket.

I don't bracket often with negative film. I will generally guess, with a lean to the side of over exposure.

The contrast of the light I shot in, not how I exposed the pix, usually determines what I do with development.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Print quality actually improves...
    Actually, what you describe as "print quality" might not match the definition of another person for a particular print. A quality print to me is one that looks like I want it to look. This may or may not look like the formula that people often state to describe a "quality print". Sometimes overexposing the film will help to achieve this. Sometimes normally exposing the film will do so. Sometimes underexposing the film will do so.

Without first defining your criteria for "print quality" (not the criteria for it), what you have said is nothing but a statement of opinion as a general fact. I know what you meant by your statement. However, instead of "improves", why not just objectively describe what it is exactly that overexposure does to a negative and to a print, and let us decide on a case-by-case basis if this will "improve" our print?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    overexpose and overdevelop...always rather have something than nothing. (by the way I'm nearly always in doubt...keeps me on my toes?) :-))

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    ...A quality print to me is one that looks like I want it to look...
    You said it very well yourself!
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 03-13-2010 at 05:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like David, I'm never in doubt, but sometimes in error. I think VC paper is the analog version of photoshop, and most small mistakes can be rectified with it. It's been a loooong time since I've made a negative that I can't print with some degree of success.
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin