Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,541   Online: 940

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Using 220 Film In a 120 RFH - Horseman 6x12cm

Can I successfully use 220 film in a Horseman 612 RFH? If so, are there any caveats other than losing the counter and automated advance stop after frame six? 220 is so much cheaper per square inch!!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Because 120 has a backing paper on it, your film will be out of the focus plane and your images will not be as sharp as they should. If the back plate has no adjustment, I would not waste the time to try it.

Many backs on older cameras had a red window to see what the film frame number was on the backing paper of the film. If this back has such, you will expose all your film from the back via this hole.

For what it's worth.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Robert. This back has no Peep hole so there won't be any fogging issues. Isn't the plane of focus determined by the pressure plate meeting with the frame? It seems to me the only issue might be a bit less pressure between the pressure plate and the frame but I don't think that'll be a problem. I "think" my only issue is going to be proper film advancement... and remembering what frame I'm on after the counter has run out but I'm not "sure".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually the pressure plate pushes the film forward to the film plane. There are a couple of threads about this somewhere on the site.
    I believe the consensus is that it works.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wish i knew where you find that cheap 220. Everywhere i look, 220 is more expensive than (2 x) 120 ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike,

I've run hundreds of rolls of 220 film (mostly Ilford FP4, now Tri-X 320) through my 612 Horseman RFH.

I ran a junk roll of 220 through the holder, marked each frame and noted where the counter should be. I also designed a paper label which I glued under the advance lever which let me accurately put 13 frames on a roll with no overlap...

You'll need to figure out a new starting mark and skip the first frame (it becomes the "leader"). After #6, the amount to advance each frame gradually lengthens (as the spool of film gets smaller). That's where that's label comes in, there are
    marks for each frame beyond #6...

John is correct; pressure plates are designed to hold the film flat against the machined surfaces at the back of the camera. Those machined surfaces determine the plane of focus, not the thickness of the film or it's backing. That old wives tale never seems to die...

Loosing 220 film is a serious loss for me...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike,

I found my original drawings for my Horseman 612 RFH label.

This will let you put thirteen 612 images on a roll of 220 film.

Have fun...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com
    Attached Files

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you, Reinhold!!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin