Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,879   Online: 964

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Absolutely! I await for the economics of high-tech to take hold.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Francesco]Does anyone know of a good flatbed scanner that can take up to 12x20 prints? Many thanks in advance.[/QUOTE

I scan 12X20 negatives wtih an Epson 836XL scanner. The 836XL is the immediate predecessor of the current 1640XL and scans at an optical dpi of 800 dpi, in contrast to 1600 dpi for the 1640XL. However, unless you plan to make prints larger than about 24X40" 800 dpi is more than enough for 12X20" negatives.

The scan must be done in two parts and stitched together with Photoshop. Stitching is fairly easy to do once you learn the procedures, and is the only option available for a flatbed scanner.

About two years ago someone made drum scans for me of ten of my 12X20 negatives, at 600 dpi. In my opinion the scans from the flatbed 836XL at 800 dpi are easily equal to, if not superior, to what I got from the drum scans.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    Does anyone know of a good flatbed scanner that can take up to 12x20 prints? Many thanks in advance.
    Francesco, check out the stitched 12x20, it was not hard to do and the results are reasonably good for web publication. I would say save your money and buy a good flat bed scanner, but dont spend a bundle on it, buy film instead.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Big bucks indeed! Check this flatbed scanner out http://www.allied-images.com/image.htm. It fits the bill for 12x20 contacts but what a BILL! Nearly 10,000 british pounds! I think I will wait six months and see how fast that price tumbles (fingers crossed).
    Regardless of price the scanner referenced above does not appear to have a TMA (Transparency Media Adaptor) to allow scans of negatives and other transparent materials. Or did I miss something?

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    mrcallow should know, but I think you may be stuck with stitching unless you want to spend some serious cash. Just send me the prints, I will scan and stitch them together. Sorry, no return postage available
    I don't know of a scanner that has a scan area beyond 13x18. I have seen huge graphic arts scanners, but don't believe they are intended for continuos tone.

You might want to set up a copy area shot the prints with 4x5 and scan the 4x5 negs/tranies. If it is for the web this should be more than good enough.

Sorry, this is none too helpful.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sandy, you are absolutely right, only contact PRINTS. This is not a bother (the price is) because I am interested in a scanner for 12x20 contact prints. I have a friend who lives in HK and he is going to check the same kind of scanner (i.e. A2 flatbed) and price - I would not be surprised if something similar is available in Asia.

Mrcallow, the link I attached in a previous page is for a very expensive flatbed scanner that can take as much as a 16x20 print I believe - even 20x24 I think. Pretty impressive but way too much money for simply putting prints up on my site and APUG easily and more faithfully. At least we know they are available and will no doubt tumble in price in the near future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mrcallow, the link I attached in a previous page is for a very expensive flatbed scanner that can take as much as a 16x20 print I believe - even 20x24 I think. Pretty impressive but way too much money for simply putting prints up on my site and APUG easily and more faithfully. At least we know they are available and will no doubt tumble in price in the near future.
    Francesco,
    It wasn't my intention to suggest that they didn't exist -- I just haver never seen one. I was also under the impression that the Epson Xl was a tabloid (11x17) scanner.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    MrCallow, until I find someone I know who has tried it or seen it I will assume that it does not exist. In fact, it is better that I forget about the whole thing until the price adjusts down to a few hundred bucks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Francesco,

I have been scanning banquet camera prints from the 1940's (for website display) on my flat bed scanner with very good results. I scan them in 3 sections and then stitch them together.

For your 12x20's you might take a look at the Microtek 9800 series of scanners (B&H is a good place to look). With a Microtek 9800 (or equivalent) 2 scans should do it with plenty of overlap.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin