Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,100   Online: 1210

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Scanning 12x20 Contacts

Does anyone know of a good flatbed scanner that can take up to 12x20 prints? Many thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    Does anyone know of a good flatbed scanner that can take up to 12x20 prints? Many thanks in advance.
    I asked Butch Welch how he does his 12x20 scans and he told me it was done by stitching in PS. Other than that I have no idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    mrcallow should know, but I think you may be stuck with stitching unless you want to spend some serious cash. Just send me the prints, I will scan and stitch them together. Sorry, no return postage available

Images
    How about a two lights at 45% angles or open shade, tripod, and either a digital cam (good one) or a smaller format camera loaded with XP2. These are just for web presentation, right?
    hi!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    How about a two lights at 45% angles or open shade, tripod, and either a digital cam (good one) or a smaller format camera loaded with XP2. These are just for web presentation, right?
    Si. My preference is to scan the print though as I am not really convinced that my neg scans are representative of my work.

My wife who owns a fine linens store is also interested (she has a webshop) hence the question - i.e. she has no patience except if the scanner can accept LARGE documents. Two birds with one stone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a place here in Des Moines, Iowa that offers scanning for originals up to 42"x60". I know that won't help you where you are, but maybe there's something similar near you.

http://www.beelineandblue.com/scanning.asp

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Big bucks indeed! Check this flatbed scanner out http://www.allied-images.com/image.htm. It fits the bill for 12x20 contacts but what a BILL! Nearly 10,000 british pounds! I think I will wait six months and see how fast that price tumbles (fingers crossed).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Francesco,
    just buy a small 2 megapixel camera and use that, should be under $150. If all you need it for is web display then there isn't going to be any difference. The scanner will only give you a larger image to work from originally, but since you aren't going to be changing anything (a la the "What Analog means to me") then there isn't any point in having the larger file, unless you're going to be scanning and then digitally printing.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 06-11-2004 at 12:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: missing an "n't"
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Would it not be better to have a flatbed scanner or are you saying that taking a picture of the print is as good as the scanner? In my experience this is not so but perhaps I am wrong. Let me rephrase the question: assuming all I will be doing in Photoshop is a resize of the scan it is your contention that a 150 dollar digital camera will be as true to my print as this high-end scanner and that the resulting image for web presentation will be identical qualitywise?

Images
    If properly exposed and lit, I'd put money on the fact that the average visitor to your site (photographers included) wouldn't be able to tell the two side by side. What size are you going to have them posted on your site? 800 pixels on the long side maybe? Think about what the end result is, and the fact that no two monitors display colors the same way. Wouldn't you rather spend your hard earned money on more film and chemicals, and a flatbed scanner anyway?
    hi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin