Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,880   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Chlorophyll Photography!

Hey everyone,
    I just stumbled on the website a few weeks ago. The idea of printing a photo on a leaf is so interesting to me. I gave it a shot myself and I have had no luck...
    I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with this and if there are any tips out there to help me out!

http://www.npr.org/programs/talkingp...anh/index.html

Lynette

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the article does say that it takes days, and even weeks sometimes, and he checks it periodically. Have you let it sit long enough? Maybe a very contrasty negative, and a grow lamp.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other side of this is to feed a leaf with a small injection of a staining dye, and watch it work its way though the leaf's vascular system.

I'm no biologist, but have a ton of chems given to me that I am working though figuring out how to use them , and I am sure one of the biological stains would be suited to this task.

Now to just find the time to persue this idea as well.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Anthotypes are arguably the oldest form of photographic prints.

It's not archival, but you can do it and get good results. In addition to direct leaf prints, you can also extract the pigments from green or red leaves or flowers and coat those onto paper and do it that way.

A noted modern practitioner of leaf printing is Bin Danh.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I figured I would have to manipulate the leaf at some point. I thing I am going to try blue food dye, just because I have some at the house. Hopefully it works out, if not try try and try again.
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Instant Films
    I know it's now November and this was first posted in April, but a few days ago Bin Dahn gave a lecture at UNC-Greensboro about his process and resolved images. Chlorophyll Prints are not the same as Anthotypes.

Bin Dahn's Chlorophyll Print process is fairly simple, but people rarely are able to execute the process to its fullest potential because of the amount of time it requires.

Also, please note that it might be necessary to print place and clip the negative to a live plant and expose it to the sun directly. The leaf has to be able to breathe. Bin Dahn uses unclipped leaves and clipped leafs, but either way the photosynthesis process has to be continuous during the print process. Note again, that the type of leaf will make the difference. A flatter leaf requires slightly more loose clamping and allows the plant to use the photosynthesis process more efficiently.

Bin Dahn uses resin to preserve the process.

I must stress that this process is in service of the image at all steps. It's not like willy nilly print on a leaf.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is actually a development step possible to speed up leaf photography.

The first step is a long exposure with a high contrast negative pressed to the leaf. Then the leaf is picked and boiled in alcohol (care, fire hazard) to dissolve out the chlorophyll. Next is a soak in a dilute iodine solution. A blue toned image appears.

What happens is that the illuminated portions of the leaf carry out photosynthesis which culminates in the production of microscopic starch grains. The iodine-starch complex is the blue stuff making up the image.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    There is actually a development step possible to speed up leaf photography.

The first step is a long exposure with a high contrast negative pressed to the leaf. Then the leaf is picked and boiled in alcohol (care, fire hazard) to dissolve out the chlorophyll. Next is a soak in a dilute iodine solution. A blue toned image appears.

What happens is that the illuminated portions of the leaf carry out photosynthesis which culminates in the production of microscopic starch grains. The iodine-starch complex is the blue stuff making up the image.

I am trying to figure out a faster way of doing the Chlorophyll process? What is the dilute iodine solution? I would like to try this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lica3 View Post
    I am trying to figure out a faster way of doing the Chlorophyll process? What is the dilute iodine solution? I would like to try this.
    The iodine I used was a few drops of tincture of iodine (from the local pharmacy) in water so that the solution looks slightly yellowish.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin