Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,452   Online: 937

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm

School photographs

I worked for a lab for six years in the 80s that did a lot of school photographs, as well as student ID cards for the local transit company.

The photogs were mostly independents, although some were on staff. They used a mix of Camerz and Nord long roll cameras, and the film was all 35mm unperforated.

We printed the negatives on Nord package printers, equipped (as all of the pro division printers were) with Hazeltine additive lamphouses. Later we moved some of the production to Kodak PMP printers, with the KDCPU drawers. The PMP was actually a slightly modified Lucht V-7 printer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Japan around the 1950s (Japanese) TLRs were used for class pictures. When I brought my Yashica 44 into school one day an older teacher told me that.

For whole class pictures, the Fuji 690 was used, in all its incarnations. Now that just about everyone has switched away, the 690 can be found, in various conditions, at most cameras shops and shows. When I can, I try talking to school photographers when I see them. Most are happy to talk gear, and although they don't use film anymore, there are still some photographers out there with a 690 in their trunk A lot of them miss film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

B/W group shots

Interesting thread. I remember in grade school in California in the early to mid sixties only group class pictures were made. I remember distinctly that the photographers used 8x10 view cameras for these large "group portraits". They would usually take 2 exposures. These guys worked well with us wiggly, silly kids and usually managed to get shots of the whole class with everyone looking cute and somewhat civilized. The photographs were shot with black and white film and the students were asked to wear a dark sweater and slacks for "picture day". I recently came across an 8x10 of my third grade class from Emerson Elementary School in Burbank, Calif. The print was glossy and made on double-weight fiber paper and in absolutely perfect condition.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I work occasionally for a school dance check-in company, scanning student's ID cards as they enter. Generally the photographers are within walking distance, so after we've packed up our computers and equipment, I walk over and watch, if possible.

quite a few people I've noticed lately have been using P&S digital cameras, no wonder the pictures look like sh!t!

my little brother just went to his 1st prom, and he got the pictures about 2 weeks later. Boy, the skintones were all nasty(too yellow), and SUPER LOW CONTRAST, way to low to be acceptable.

this digital crap that passes as "ok" is bringing down the school photographers a lot

-Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin