Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,632   Online: 678

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

What Film for Pentax 67

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to this forum and have become somewhat disenchanted with 35 mm digital photography.
    I recently purchased a Pentax 67II body and five assorted lenses to go with it. Suffice to say, this is a mother of an SLR. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what sort of 120 film I should start with to shoot a few frames with this thing hand held. I travel and photograph in Africa a lot and am very influenced by the black and white work of Peter Beard and more recently by Nick Brandt. In the places I photograph, there's not much scope or time for setting up a heavy tripod.
    Apologies if this sounds all a bit amateurish, but like I said I'm totally new to meduim format photography and haven't used a 120 camera since I was at university in the 1980's. Any advise would will be gratefully received.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're going to do a lot of handheld photography, you might want to seriously think about getting a 35mm system. Even a large 35mm SLR is easy to handhold. The Pentax 67-II is not.

As for film, there are so many choices that it's hard to know where to begin, but for black-and-white film, Ilford FP-4 Plus and HP-5 Plus and their close cousins, Kodak Plus-X and Tri-X, are a great place to start. My favourite 120 colour print film these days is the very recent (just released in 2009) Kodak Ektar 100, but you might need a faster film to handhold this large camera.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest a 400 ISO film, Ilford HP5+, Delta 400, Kodak Tri-X or T-Max 400. These should allow you to shoot hand-held in daylight conditions.
    Good luck and have fun.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can shoot 400 ISO & have no grain worries with 67. Tri-X looks great in this format. Ilford Delta 3200 rated at 1600 also has low grain & beautiful tonality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you consider a tripod? BTW welcome to APUG.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From a practical standpoint, the suggestion that you want to use this camera hand held precludes the use of slow to medium speed films, and makes a 400 speed film almost mandatory. So what are your choices, and what do you prefer? There's Tri-X and HP5+ for conventional grain films, and TMY-2 and Delta 400 for newer technology emulsions. All are very good high quality products, but I have a preference for TMY-2. I've used it in harsh light and have been able to capture usable detail in the deep shadows without suffering completely blown highlights. In more favorable light, it's one of the easiest films to print that I've used. Tri-X is good, this stuff is better.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Tmax 400 travels well and as mentioned is better speed for hand holding. Don't forget that you can lock the mirror up even hand holding a lot of the time. Just hold your position.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by joburger63 View Post
    In the places I photograph, there's not much scope or time for setting up a heavy tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Have you consider a tripod? BTW welcome to APUG.

Jeff

Hahahahaha....
    This guy...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    This site is certainly a lot more responsive than Nikonians! Thanks for your advise guys. I'm getting one of each you recommended and we'll see how we go. It seems the general consensus is 400 and above in all cases. I'll be back when I'm figuring out how to load this beast! Cheers! Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    here you go for a loading "how to"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmJHVVaWRBg

cheers!

-Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin