Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,977   Online: 1058

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably the Beseler 45 enlarger for $7.50 at a local school district surplus auction. I was the only one who knew what it was but some old woman still bid against me a couple of rounds.

There was the one that got away: an estate auction with a B&J Grover monorail 8x10 with a couple of old wooden film holders and three or four old lenses (not good lenses and not particularly valuable.) I had it at $60 when some guy ran up out of breath just before "Sold!" and bid. Irritated the heck out of me. I got him up to $500 and let him have it. He came up to me after the auction; he thought it was a camera but wasn't sure. He asked me whether or not they still made film for it! I pointed out the rail clamp and told him to take care of it, that was the most important part because it was often missing. Never did hear how that turned out.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    There was the one that got away: an estate auction with a B&J Grover monorail 8x10 with a couple of old wooden film holders and three or four old lenses (not good lenses and not particularly valuable.) I had it at $60 when some guy ran up out of breath just before "Sold!" and bid. Irritated the heck out of me. I got him up to $500 and let him have it. He came up to me after the auction; he thought it was a camera but wasn't sure. He asked me whether or not they still made film for it! I pointed out the rail clamp and told him to take care of it, that was the most important part because it was often missing. Never did hear how that turned out.

Mike
    What a jackass. He deserved every penny of what he spent to get it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bought a mint hassy 500c (late model) with 3 backs and 80mmplanar t for 300 bucks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Nikon F with a 50mm 1.4H lens for £40 from an outdoor market stall in a small town in North Yorkshire about twenty years ago that I later sold (because I'm a Canon FD user) for enough to buy another Canon F1N body that I still use.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    An OM-1 body, 50mm 1.8, 28mm 3.5 and a 35-70mm 3.6, all in great condition for $66.00 on Ebay

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    I got a Leica M3 with a 50/2 lens plus a old ICA Stereo camera for $35. I sold the lens and that paid for a full CLA and mirror re-silvering. The ICA is about to go for $150.
    Wow! Who was the silly person who sold you this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do freebies count? If so, a beautiful, working Rolleiflex 3.5f, from my Mom's best friend. I told her what it was worth, but she said she'd rather give it to me, if I'd use it. I do.... often.
    Another one of her friends gave me an Olympus Pen EE, also with the proviso that I use it. I do...
    Her brother (my Uncle), recently gave me a Retina IIIc, with 3 lenses, filters, etc. Wonderful condition, and I've used it a few times ( I got it about 2 months ago).

My Mom needs more friends & brothers...

3e8

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Not exactly a steal, but considering the dwindling supply, I got a Fotar 10' vertical 8x10 enlarger with 2 dichroic heads, 2 negative carriers, and an Ilford RC2150 RT processor for $200.

Shooter
    Large Format
    i gots a lot of them, can't really just say one
    well, maybe a mint condition manhatten wizard 4x5 plate camera, case and 3 or 4 plate holders
    and 60 magic lantern slides all for 300$ ... sold the slides for 350$ so i guess i was paid 50$
    to take the camera &C off his hands ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've gotten a few nice ones but nothing on the scale of what people are talking about here:

- Rolleicord IV, needs a CLA but decent condition otherwise for $35.
    - Olympus 35 DC for $8 (spent about 12 hours addressing issues but is in good condition now).
    - Canonet 17 QL III for $15.
    - Cosina CX-2 for $6 (film advance stuck, turning via the motor drive slot got it loose enough again). I feel like I should sell now, given the crazy price they go for due to the Lomo craze. I have a hard time justifying holding on to it honestly.

I had a chance at a cheaper Leica deal but couldn't do it. An elderly couple were wandering around a camera store looking for a good bag for their digital camera. Evidently they were really into photography a long time back but preferred to instantly share pictures with grandchildren after taking them now. They mentioned that they were going up to the counter in a minute to find out if their Leica M3 and dozen lenses were worth anything. They didn't really figure they were worth much but thought they'd ask anyway. At one point, they asked me if I'd be interested in them.

I probably could have lowballed them and walked away with it but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't afford a fair price for their kit anyway so I politely turned them down. I passed on info on rough worth and places to go to sell it.

It was the right thing to do but damn.. it would have been awesome getting an opportunity to shoot with a setup like his.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin