Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,553   Online: 1040

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    $18,000 worth of college courses for the price of a parking pass and a lab fee even though I have my own darkroom. I tell you about this, not to brag that I have found something someone else did not, but to say look what is out there, possibly for you when you reach that age. This may be available to you as well as me. Fellow Apugger Bob Curtis has started taking courses in the same program.

For reasons that have not been made clear to an obvious beneficiary, the state of Ohio USA wants people over the age of sixty to take courses at state funded colleges wherever there are available classroom seats. I am 70 and have taken seventeen photography and one art history course since I retired in 2003. I followed my best man’s footsteps, who partied out of college when he returned from the Korean War and has now taken painting and sculpting courses for 14 years. We celebrated his 80th birthday in January.

You may say that you are not 60 or even close, but I suggest that retirement plans should be considered long before that age. You may say that John is a slow learner having to take 17 photography courses. I look at the courses as nearly free on going workshops. They are long enough that the project is not ruined by an equipment malfunction. I love the pressure that exists of critiques every two weeks. You benefit from young intense minds, both student and instructors.

I am doing this not to get a degree. I earned that 45 years ago. I am doing this to learn more about the hobby that has always interested me and to continue keeping my mind active in my retirement. President Obama has stressed that everyone who can should get more education. The state of Ohio, very low in the national education standards lists, offers this in any course study, not just art related. Do other states offer it? I don’t know, but if I lived somewhere else I would be looking. When this comes up in conversation it proves to be a surprise to most of the senior Ohioans I meet. Is it possible you are missing a superb benefit available where you live?

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 04-24-2010 at 07:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many Colleges and Universities in Canada have the same benefit, unless courses/programs are full.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    35mm
    Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2, 6x9 folding bellow camera for the grand price of £0.00. Given by a friend who found it in his attic, said it hadn't been used in 50 years and told me the shutter didn't fire. Turns out he had confused the lever that cocked the shutter with the self-timer, and a week later I had a set of immaculate prints from it.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    $18,000 worth of college courses for the price of a parking pass and a lab fee.......................

John Powers
    Connecticut has the same program, plus if you are veteran of any way After WWI you qualify as well. You have to pay student fees and actually buy the books and equipment for your classes (some students were just borrowing the books from the library)

I got two degrees in Engineering on that program, I guess that is my best deal because I use that education to earn money to buy all kinds of stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Contax RTSIII with a 50 1.7 Planar for £125 - labelled Contax RTS with standard lens in a shop in Swansea. I just didn't have the heart to tell them that all 4 Contax RTS models simply carried the RTS logo. Also a 150mm lens mistaken for (and priced accordingly) a Mamiya 645 but which was actually for the Mamiya 7 from an online UK retailer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    once a my father gave me a nikon F2, i gave him a hug, nice deal hã?
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    $18,000 worth of college courses ...
    And worth more than $18,000 in equipment!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    330 sheets of Kodak Polycontrast
    120 rolls of 120 Plus-X Pan Expired 1996 Frozen
    10 packets of fixer
    5 packets of Dektol
    4 packets of D-76

$100
    Last edited by Darkroom317; 06-01-2010 at 12:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    An almost complete darkroom setup for $150, everything from enlarger to hundreds upon hundreds of sheets of paper. So far I'v estimated all to be around $2000, maby more.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would have to put my Fujimoto Lucky 60M enlarger out there. Perfectly operational from an eBay seller for $48.00. That included s/h. And that was three years before I even geared up to enlarge. I knew I would use it anyway and even an infinite monkey would see it was too good a deal to not take a chance with it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin