Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,775   Posts: 1,516,668   Online: 1145

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Your best deal ever?

Making photos the analog way is rife with experiences of deals, hitherto-dream cameras now bought at bargain prices, pros unloading their material to amateurs in drove, and an ever-falling devaluation of formerly (or still) great equipment.

My best deal ever was the following setup: A Vivitar VI with dichroic colour head (the Dioptic one), all negative carriers (35mm, slides, 6x6), with a Unicolor set of drums+roller base, and to top it all: the Mythical Minolta C.E.-Rokkor 50mm f/2.8.

All in mint condition. Price? 100$.

Canadian dollars!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Polaroid 180 at a brocante in Brussels for around $2. Rolleicord Vb for around $75, Brussels again. Plaubel 67 Wide for $800 just after all the cables were fixed properly -- expensive, but still a bargain. Black Olympus FT with sought-after pancake lens, yard sale Virginia, $40. And others which my aging memory can't recall at the moment....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a Leica M3 with a 50/2 lens plus a old ICA Stereo camera for $35. I sold the lens and that paid for a full CLA and mirror re-silvering. The ICA is about to go for $150.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A Canham 14x17 and three Lotus film holders in exchange for making some art with it.

And what was supposed to be a couple of 5x7, 8x10 and 11x14 contact printing frames for $20 turned into a half-dozen 5x7, 2 8x10, 2 11x14, 1 14x17, 1 12x20 contact printing frames, six 7x11 film holders, three 11x14 dry plate holders, 2 11x14 film holders, scads of 4x5 and 5x7 film and dry plate holders, and a MASSIVE Kodak enlarging easel that can handle a 20x24 inch print with a 5" border.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rolleicord V for £34

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    pros unloading their material to amateurs in drove,
    Local pro goes digital - sold me his entire darkroom:

Beseler 4x5 with computer dichro head & a Zone VI cold light
    4 (count'm 4) Componon lenses
    temp control sink
    trays, tanks, timers, etc.

$200

Sold 3 of the Schneider lenses to get the money back. Sold both enlarger heads and bought different ones - even.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Hugo Meyer Gorlitz Plasmat convertible in a working Compur shutter for $40. I didn't even know how good of a deal this was at the time- thought it was just a fun junky lens to play with. Igor Camera and EBay have them listed for $300-500.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yashica 72e half frame camera for $3 at a thrift store. After only shooting with a Hasselblad for 5 years, some color film in the Yashica has been a revelation. I couldn't be happier that I found that camera. Turns out it was just what I needed.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I paid $1.50 for a Diana F camera about 20 years ago. Made more good pictures with that camera than any of the other 35mm, medium format, 4x5, 8x10 cameras I've had.

Also got at Gitzo G 1228 carbon fiber tripod with Arca Swiss B1 head for $7.50 at a rummage sale.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 04-21-2010 at 03:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A brand new Saunders 16x20 4 blade easel for $20.00

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin