Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,982   Online: 905

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Which new (spot-) exposure meter?

I am looking for a good exposure meter. Preferably it should do 1° spotmetering, incident metering and flash metering. I definitely am looking for a new commercially available meter. I've seen Kenko, Minolta, Gossen and maybe there are more, but find it very difficult to make a choice based on the manufacturers information. I am working in medium format, black and white onely.
    Any one with advice? Thanks a lot.
    Have you seen the light..?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Whatever people are using is what they will recommend. Personally I have a Pentax, Gossen, Minolta and Sekonic. All 1 degree spot meters. Actually the Gossen might be just less than 1 degree but it's not that critical. They all work great but in the end I use my Sekonic the most because it also does incident readings.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I seem to recall that the Sekonic does reflected flash metering, but Gossen, Minolta and Pentax do not.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Gossen Starlite 'multi-meter' does flash in reflected mode (including spot) too.
    I don't know whether it is the best of the bunch though.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    I seem to recall that the Sekonic does reflected flash metering, but Gossen, Minolta and Pentax do not.
    My Minolta Spotmeter F does reflected flash, and so does my Gossen Starlite 2. The Minolta is dated, the Gossen is brand new. My Pentax Digital Spotmeter does not read flash, but it's my favorite for the Zone System. My Gossen Gossen Lunastar F2 does, but it's not a spotmeter, however, it's my favorite in the Studio.

I suggest to go to a local camera dealer or camera club and look at a few meter. As others have said, people recommend what they use, but that also means that all brand name meters are good. It comes down to convenience and the way you like to work.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

noumin
    The Kenko KFM 2100 does 1° spotmetering, ambient and flash.
    It has all the bells and whistles one can think of, but in turn
    you have to read the manual and use it a lot to get used to it.
    Once you know the buttons it´s a nice meter. Not really suited for
    the zone system.

Gossen Starlite does 1°and 5° spotmetering, ambient and flash.
    Simpler to operate than the Kenko, but I found the lens prone
    to flare, measure the heap of coal in a snowfield and you will
    get stunning results (i.e. something like 2 stops between coal and snow),
    don´t know if the new Starlite 2 still has this problem. There´s a zone
    system mode. Expensive !

Considering the costs, if this is possible for you, it would really
    be a good idea to have a look at them to find out which one your
    comfortable with.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a Gossen Digipro F incident meter and a Pentax Digital Spotmeter (Zone IV modified version). I can not recommend it enough.
    The Pentax is the smallest spot meter i could find and provides very easy working. I had a look at the Gossen and aside from it being 5x the price of the Pentax (i paid about $350AU) it is also more than twice the size.
    I also had a Minolta Spotmeter F and it had the same problem - dicky digital readout and bulky. Not what i want when travelling overseas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sekonic L758D, with incident, multispot/bal., reflected, ambient, corded/uncorded flash and various baseline point adjustments (like other Sekonics, it will also take PocketWizard Tx/Rx console). It's an expensive brute but lethally accurate, particularly with reversal film tracking changing light; you do of course have much more leeway with monochrome both in metering and post-prod (darkroom). I would stress that what others are using should not be your only guide; your experience and knowledge of how meters behave and where you will go in terms of that knowledge down the line will have a greater bearing; I used a simple Polaris 308 meter for more than 15 years until it was stolen in 2003. Really, it's no good buying the super-souped bells-and-whistles model and not being able to understand it. Perhaps hire a meter you are interested in and get to know it before committing to a purchase.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It was nicely affirming, at the last Melbourne APUG get together, that at least 4 of us had variants of the Sekonic L758D. I also have the old Minolta Spotmeter F, but I've found the Sekonic so fiendishly handy and accurate, that it's pretty much all I use now. That said, Ralph's suggestion to actually try out a few is exactly what I did, and I suppose I liked the "ergonomics" of the Sekonic over the Gossen Starlite 2 more than anything... but since then I've used the pocket wizard functionality HEAPS, so I'm very glad...

Marc!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin