Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,249   Online: 1009

View Poll Results: when do you look ?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 seconds

3 5.08%
  • 30 seconds

5 8.47%
  • 1 min

6 10.17%
  • when its done

44 74.58%
  • i forgot

1 1.69%
  • when i pick it up

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fixer poll

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Watch this video in its entirety:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0WaD...layer_embedded

Note what he says about the process after the development.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think Haist(?) pointed out that exposure to light too soon can -potentially- result in the formation colorless, insoluble complexes, that, later, can decompose to colored product(s)... therefore I never short cut the fixing process nor any associated built-in saftey margin.

Besides, the added Anticipation creates extra Exhilaration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Watch this video in its entirety:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0WaD...layer_embedded

Note what he says about the process after the development.
    The guys that created the ISO Standards for film testing must be seriously reconsidering their methods.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dont care what he says, I'm sticking to my old tried and true methods. I have fogged film and paper in the past by allowing light to strike them too soon after stopping, and not having fixed long enough. Call me stodgy and old fashioned, I dont care, I'm not changing now.
    BTW, when setting up a poll, make it clear as to what you are asking, this one is beyond vague, I had no idea what you are trying to ascertain by the wording.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For film I run PE's Superfix sometimes, and it is usually done in under 2 minutes, so why peek. I do pull on time, because this stuff has enough punch to vaccuum up the image as well if left too long.

So more often I run TF-4 scratched mixed. It is more of a 3 minute stuff. so for film, why peek.

For prints it depends on if RC and FB. If RC in TF4, 1:3 with a slosh of the tray at the beginning. So I usually lights on at 1' or so, and flip to the rinse tray after 2'. This is with a running water stop bath.

For FB, 30" acetic stop bath, 3-5' in first fix (lights on after about 2') , then to a still water holding bath, and 5 minutes with agitation for all all prints, and flip my way though the pile for teh full period.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I doing film, it is when I'm finished with it. When I do prints maybe a minute or two.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film stays in the tank until fully fixed. Unless I have a concern about the film I usually wash it before I examine it (that keeps fixer off my hands). I do test my fixer activity, though 8-)

Prints stay under safelight for at least half the fixing time. That is at least 30 seconds even with a strong rapid fix on fibre based paper.

So I don't think the poll is detailed enough to get reasonable statistics. 8-)
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Film - When it's done (5 min)
    Paper - FB test prints, at 20 sec, FB final prints at 45 sec (1 min total, two-bath fixing)

Shooter
    35mm
    Film: When it's done. Every few films, I take a short look to see if the clearing time is still ok. If it's twice as long as with fresh fixer, it's time get new chemicals. My fixer isn't very strong, so one or two more minutes won't eat the picture.

Paper: About 15 seconds, but I only turn the light on for a few seconds to see if everything's alright or if I need to make another print (hard to see some mistakes like uneven development with darkroom lights). Afterwards there's no light until the prints are washed and dried.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Film = 2 min. Always done. Fix another 30 sec or so. If it isn't clear at around 2-3 min. then I get rid of the fixer.

See, I fixed that!

Smiles!
    Bill Clark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin