Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,625   Online: 972

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

ballhead vs panhead

Hi all,
    So sorry to ask another ballhead vs panhead question. I searched this forum but so far can only found discussion on features. What I want to know is the weight/support ability comparison on both type. I used to have small ballhead for my Nikon N90S. It was so wobbly I never get sharp result when used with long lens. This result improved when I switched to pan/tilt head of similar weight. I suspect it's because pan/tilt head construction which uses long axis for each movement results in more stable set up.
    Soon I'll be out hiking and am looking for light head with adequate support.
    Anybody can give information or link?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...CBkQ8wIwAzgA#p

you won't be unhappy with this one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or this one: http://tinyurl.com/498RC2 ...
    ... or this http://tinyurl.com/24wrjt3

Either firmly hold my 2.23kg EOS1N with no wobble, bobble, bounce or sway.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 06-24-2010 at 02:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a Acratech fan, a bit dearer, but only .45kg (and will hold 11kg) if your looking for weight savings.
    http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=69

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to buy something that is really good, look for something like a Arca Swiss B or a Graft Studio Ball. I purchase each, on eBay used, for around $100 and they are well worth the investment. Have had several Bogen, still have 2, junk by comparison.

Avoid Chinese ball heads.

JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would be great if we could avoid a lot of things made in China. Perhaps somebody can prove otherwise, but I think ACRATECH for all its innovation, is apparently made in China even though it is advertised as Made in USA. Among other notable marques (e.g. ArcaSwiss), GITZO, Manfrotto are still made in Italy and there is a big difference in quality between Italy and China. I am very biased and ferociously so because I have had nasty experiences with early Chinese ballheads — then right down to nasty cable releases. But really, anything being used to support your camera needs careful scrutinising. Don't cut corners and invest wisely.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tilt and pan heads are ok, but are slow to operate. Ball heads are quicker, but need a little more attention. They can easily flop over if you aren't supporting the camera while you adjust them. For small camera work, I definitely prefer a ballhead. All the items mentioned so far are good, the Bogen/Manfrotto line representing very good value for the money. You will not like screwing and unscrewing the camera from the ballhead in very short order. I'd look for something with a quick release plate that will hold more than the weight of your current rig.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    [...]They can easily flop over if you aren't supporting the camera while you adjust them. [...]

This is exactly what happened 3 days ago in a moment of tired madness when I released the ball lock and <---flop!---> the camera was suddenly staring at my feet. I really do not know why I released the lock precipitating that incident, so I cannot reinforce enough the priority to hold the camera at all times and, where it is provided, ensure the friction stop/adjustment is tightened such that any accidental fall is slow and gradual rather than abrubt. The head now requires conscious force to adjust when unlocked but it is slow and very smooth. No damage to the camera or lens but it was certainly a wake up call! :rolleyes:

Quick release plates are an essential include: this business of screwing a camera on and off several times in a session is maddening.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All this rubbish about if its made in China then its suddenly no good. Quality comes from reputable companies and quality control, the Italians might made Manfrotto, but they also made Fiat, the Australians had a car called the Leyland P76, never heard of it...there's a reason. CNC machines are CNC machines if the controlling company is any good then the product they sell, whatever its made will be OK. It the companies that cut cost that make rubbish. You get what you pay for in general.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used the older version of the 468 & it wasn't too smooth.
    Gitzo is very good but currently I use a Cambo CBH-5 with Linhof QR plates and absolutely the BEST is an
    EMO, it's a combination ball & pan/tilt head. It does both, there's a pivot through the ball section & by removing it it is a ball
    head with the pivot installed it has fore & aft tilt, rotation and sideways tilt. Two ball bearing races with 6 bearing in each, two quick releases,
    one at the top, one at the bottom, two sets of handles, the long set for pan & tilt & short for ball head.
    The long handles are also used as a wrench to remove/install the reversible 3/8&1/4" attachment points.
    They were made in Wetzlar & have the same sort of quality the the Leica ball heads had.
    Have I mentioned it's the best?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin