Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,382   Online: 771

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

creative re-use of your photo related trash...

What is everybody doing with their old film canisters and totaled lenses/gear? It's starting to pile up and I can't seem to think of anything useful to do with it, but for some reason I'm still sentimentally attached...

I was thinking some lens-part jewelry might be cute...

I'd love to see what people have come up with!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have quite a bit of stash of empty film canisters (the plastic containers 135 films come in) and empty 120 spools in a box. I also started keeping paper backing of 120 films. I have no use for these items, but I just can't throw them away! I had a thread going somewhere about canisters and spools, and apparently, I am not the only one doing this.

I have a damaged Mamiya M645Super for future source of spare parts. I haven't trashed a lens, yet.....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I put them in re-cycle bin for plastic trash that is collected by the refuse depot every Wednesday.and let them worry about it.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 06-28-2010 at 10:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You could always make jewellery out of it:

http://www.oyemodern.com/designers/re-vision/

Shooter
    35mm
    ha! I figured someone had done that already...200 bux for the armband?! its called a screwdriver, a little saw and a file... and getting to see whats inside that old broken lens ;-p

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey, that jewelry is nice
    I don't see, why I should pay 200$ for some part of a broken lens, but I like the idea. I'll have to get some metalworking tools.

Canon made some nice coffee cups in the shape of some L-lenses (yep, the expensive ones, of course). I guess, one could do something similar out of a real lens with some effort and the left over glass could be used either for decoration or optical experiments. I love recombining assorted old lenses into a new "objective" without even the slightest idea, why it works that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm, never realised such a small Tamron component would be quite so much . . . . . .

http://www.oyemodern.com/designers/r.../prod_437.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Old 35mm film canisters make a great way to carry loose change around in a bicycle pannier or your pocket. In fact I'm convinced that someone at the Royal Mint must have done this because when they brought out the new 50p coin it fitted exactly, whereas the old ones always had to go in at an angle.

If you have a telescope, 35mm film cannisters also make a good bung for the ubiquitous 1-1/4 inch eyepiece fitting if you want to stop dust getting in.

Shooter
    35mm
    I also use the 35mm canisters to carry coins, especially when going on trips. They're also perfectly sized for fitting over wine bottles should you want to save the contents overnight.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just an amusing anecdote:

A few editions back, Colin Fletcher, in his book "The Complete Walker" (often considered the "Backpackers Bible") listed possible uses for the screw-top film canisters while backpacking, such as to carry: salt tablets, salmon eggs for bait, oil for lube jobs on hair and beard and even boots, not to mention for cooking. Also for carrying odds and ends such as spare flashlight bulbs, sewing kit, water-purifying and vitamin C tablets. The list goes on.

In subsequent editions, Fletcher added a footnote in which he related a story about a court case. Apparently, a young college man was stopped for a traffic violation and the officer spotted a 35mm film canister on the seat. He then proceeded to search the car, based on the fact that these film canisters were commonly used as a "stash" for marijuana, thus he had probable cause to search. The defense attorney cited Mr. Fletcher's book as evidence that 35mm film canisters had MANY uses other than as a drug stash, and won his case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin