Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,662   Online: 834

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I use the Kirk ball head and love it. It is built very well and easy to use.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have recently moved to an Acratech ball head. It is very strong and light weight. I prefer a ball head to a 3 way head, even for the 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Arca/Swiss B-1 Ballhead and the comparable Kirk Ballhead. I love both of these ballheads and use them as platforms for eveything from my G2 Contax though my Bolex Rex 5 with Norton Animation Motor (the 8x10 Wehman is a lightweight compared to the Bolex).

You can see a couple of pictures in my APUG Gallery of my Arca/Swiss ballhead supporting my Wehman 8x10 view camera.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too was a pan and tilt man for many years and when the first carbon fibre tripod by Gitzo was launched I decided to invest in it after doing a review of a number of tripods including the Gitzo for a UK magazine. At the same time I decided to go for the Gitzo 1376 ball and socket head and within weeks wished I had taken that step years before. The ball and socket is quick, light and very solid and I use 35mm medium format and 5 x 4 on it. I have a friend who has the Arca and it is also excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a berlebach which has a built in ball head. It's very light, wooden, and was amazingly cheap for a sturdy wood tripod/head ($189US).

They also have models cheaper than this with a center column..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you everyone.

It seems the consensus is on going with ball and socket!
    The reason I like the Velbon is it also has an extremely simple and quick 'twist-lock' system for the legs and a splittable centre column so you can use it at a very low height (17cm), with a maximum height of 1.2m. It collapses down to 34cm in length. My priority is on saving weight and bulk, because a lot of the time I cycle to locations with all my gear in a backpack, so a tripod that folds down to 34cm in length, with a compact b&s head is going to be ideal!

Thanks again everyone, the Velbon Ultra Luxi SF it is!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin