Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,710   Online: 791

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Replacing felt light traps on old 8x10 film holders

Some time ago I purchased a dozen old (circa 1940, I think) Kodak/Graflex 8x10 filmholders. I have examined the inner light-trapping felt and have decided to replace it if I can. The holders have some external wear but seem otherwise good. Any suggestions on where I might source the vartiety of felt material appropriate for this application? Any other thots from anyone on this project? Thanks much in advance!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can get light-trap material from www.micro-tools.com.

I would say that if the holders are held together by screws, it's probably easy enough to repair. If they are glued, then I wouldn't bother for 8x10" and smaller holders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The material from micro tools is a foam & probably won't hold up in a film holder with insertion & removing darkslide. I've used velvet ribbon from the local fabric store. Unless the holder comes apart it's a pain in the neck to do.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Replacing light-traps

Many thanks to both of you (David and Shaggy) for your replies. Yes, the holders do disassemble by removing four screws to access the light trapping end. It's a little tricky to remove the felt. However, what a great design for strength, longevity, and reliability these holders have. The felt can literally be turned over, end-for-end, reinstalled, and the holder should be good to go. The spring design is quite interesting. It's a strip of (comb-like) brass that seems to have maintained its tensile strength. Thanks again, folks!

Robert McClure

Robert,

Some earlier Toyo film holders are assembled with screws and can be thoroughly cleaned as well, so they might be worth seeking on the used market.

I have a feeling that the comb-shaped spring around which the felt fabric wraps over was made out of phosphor bronze, an excellent material for low-load leaf springs; expensive but sure holds its tension practically forever.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fudge felt from American surplus

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?...1&category=115

Try this stuff it works fine. It's called fuge felt... see site above, just fo to the end and click on more leather and fur... it's on the next page

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert McClure
    Some time ago I purchased a dozen old (circa 1940, I think) Kodak/Graflex 8x10 filmholders. I have examined the inner light-trapping felt and have decided to replace it if I can. The holders have some external wear but seem otherwise good. Any suggestions on where I might source the vartiety of felt material appropriate for this application? Any other thots from anyone on this project? Thanks much in advance!
    Robert,
    I just replaced the light-trap strips on some old German 9x12 filmholders with the soft side of a velcro strip. Think I read about it on one of the forum threads, in fact. It worked great! I just bought the self-adhesive type of velcro ($1.79 a foot) and cut carefully. This was for a Rietzchel Clack camera that hasn't been used since WWII. I also replaced the light traps on the camera. The fit is a bit tighter, but no leaks yet...

http://photos-collection.com/html/folding_clack.html for a picture of a Rietzschel

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    The velcro stuff does shed a bit though, so maybe not the best for film holders.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange
    Robert,
    I just replaced the light-trap strips on some old German 9x12 filmholders with the soft side of a velcro strip. Think I read about it on one of the forum threads, in fact. It worked great! I just bought the self-adhesive type of velcro ($1.79 a foot) and cut carefully. This was for a Rietzchel Clack camera that hasn't been used since WWII. I also replaced the light traps on the camera. The fit is a bit tighter, but no leaks yet...

http://photos-collection.com/html/folding_clack.html for a picture of a Rietzschel

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had a similar problem recently - with my camera. I went to the nerest fabric/sewing supplies shop and bought a meter of black velvet ribbon. Glued it in place with contact glue.

Works perfectly, doesn't shed, and was even the exactly correct dimension! Thank god for metric standardisation (the camera is a Linhof Color).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin