Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,418   Online: 917

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling to KEH.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Selling to KEH.

I know KEH has a good reputation as seller, but has anyone sold to them?

I am about to send some lens and camera to them.

Was wondering others experiences with selling to them.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have. I went to a photo show were there were a large number of camera stores buying cameras. I got the best prices from KEH. YMMV

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have sold to KEH several times over the years. They pay more than pretty much anyone else, but don't expect to get what YOU think your stuff's worth. Think: Here's my minty $1000 lens that I should get $650 for and actually get more like $300 from KEH. YMMV with KEH, but I'd recommend trying to sell camera gear to a focused market of people who know what they want and what it's worth, like the classifieds here on APUG, RFF, or the "Bay". I haven't sold much on the forum classifieds, but have pretty much always done okay on the bay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    <Posted via APUG mobile wap service..>

Thanks for the replies. Yes I realize KEH has good prices but there more like "wholesale" as they have to turn around and resell it. I uusaully sell APUG or eBay. Trying not sell on eBay as much. The items I am condiderig selling to KEH were listed on APUG and did not.

How long does KEH usally take to evaluate and pay?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love buying from KEH, but I hate selling to them. They don't give you what things are worth, and this is understandable, they have to make money. They don't give sellers much money and in turn they can keep their prices down, which I certainly appreciate. If you want top dollar for your equipment I would sell it on ebay. Everything that I have sold on ebay goes for right around how much KEH is selling it for and sometimes I've even gotten more.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've sold to KEH a few times. You know you're going to only get wholesale prices, but you don't have the risk and hassle of selling yourself. That's sort of the tradeoff. As for how long it takes, in my experience their inspection takes a few days after receipt, depending on how busy they are. If you are trading it in on something else, you get an extra 10 percent, as I recall, and it's all offset against your purchase price. Otherwise, they mail you a check, which also might take a few days.

I called in and spoke to a buyer to get my estimate, then I could call her directly to keep track of the transaction. That helped when one camera was delayed in inspection because they (wrongly) thought there was a problem.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    If you want top dollar for your equipment I would sell it on ebay. Everything that I have sold on ebay goes for right around how much KEH is selling it for and sometimes I've even gotten more.
    But then you are required to put a high starting price, "Rare", "RARE", and "I do not know much about cameras."

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    I've sold to KEH a few times. You know you're going to only get wholesale prices, but you don't have the risk and hassle of selling yourself. That's sort of the tradeoff. As for how long it takes, in my experience their inspection takes a few days after receipt, depending on how busy they are. If you are trading it in on something else, you get an extra 10 percent, as I recall, and it's all offset against your purchase price. Otherwise, they mail you a check, which also might take a few days.

I called in and spoke to a buyer to get my estimate, then I could call her directly to keep track of the transaction. That helped when one camera was delayed in inspection because they (wrongly) thought there was a problem.

-Laura
    That is what I do if I mail it to them. One time, as mentioned in post #2, I met them in a photo show.

It is not worth it to "have the risk and hassle of selling yourself".

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've sold to them at least once via mail, plus once at a camera show. You can typically expect to get 50% of what they would sell the item for - reasonable given they have a business to support and provide a warranty. In the mail transaction, they were very fair in their appraisal of condition.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are in business to make money and as such, not much to complain about. You trade convenience for dollars.

I sent them a list that and of course, there is no guarantee that when they inspect the equipment, they will pay you the estimate on the list. This is understandable, but if the equipment is better than expected, I doubt they will pay more.

Anyway, having business experience myself, I thought they were way to low, and based on selling a few of the cameras myself, it appears that they pay about 1/4th their selling price.

Considering the risk they take, overhead, etc., this is probably fair but for that kind of money, would rather do it myself.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin