Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,311   Posts: 1,681,797   Online: 1126

Shooter
    Multi Format

Review of Jon Goodman's Tri-Dot Battery Adapter

In a word......Fantastic!
    If you are looking for a solution to the Mercury Blues this is the ticket.Jon has developed this nifty adapter that uses common #675 hearing aid batteries to power up cameras that use the old type PX-13 or 625 merc. cells.
    It only cost me $14.00 and it's guaranteed for life.

Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    How's the battery life compared to the old PX-13 cells?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure.Probably a lot less.I paid about .80c each for the #675 batteries and picked them up at my local grocery store.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hacked together one of these several years back from a PX625 shell. Same goes for light seals for a variety of 35mm and MF cameras and film backs. Like the pricey Wein cell, these teensy zinc-air cells don't last long--the reason they're sold in 6-8 pacs. C.R.I.S.'s MR-9 adapter is a far more elegant solution than Goodman's 14 buck shim. Besides, there's no shortage of workable online solutions. Just look around.
    Last edited by CGW; 08-16-2010 at 07:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both Jon Goodman's adapter and an adapter similar to the C.R.I.S. adapter.

They both work really well.

John's adapter is advantageous because it is cheaper to buy, and the availability of really cheap (check Costco) brand name 675 hearing aid batteries is excellent. I factored this into the equation when I bought one to use in a Canonet that I wanted to try out to see if I liked it.

My C.R.I.S. adapter has been in my Olympus OM1n since the mercury cells became hard to find. I knew that I was going to be keeping that camera for a long time, so I bought a quantity of silver oxide cells to fit it.

The two adapters can serve as a backup for each other, in case there are problems.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I purchased Jon's adapter mainly because the guy has been such a help to me over the years when problems arise during a tricky camera resealing.He's a great guy and more than ready to give free advice.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin