Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,282   Online: 1046

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have just accidentally landed here and thought that another update would be in place. I have and use the bag since more than 3 years.

At first - I used it only for trips where a camera (Mamiya 6 or a TLR, rarely both) was always in + all the possible stuff one could need, but since more than a year I use it pretty much daily (and carry some sort of camera if I want).

What I can say - there are signs of use (in particular on the light color interior, but those are just stains) on the corners, but still to real tear or wear. The bag does not soak dirt so even that it gets on the floor at home or in the car - it is easy to keep clean.

The zippers work fine - only on occasion when the bag is over filled and I try to close the zipper while having the bag on my shoulder - the zipper could miss a teeth - because it is under lot of strain from the shoulder strap (which should have rather been attached to the back of the bag than to the side. But all that is needed in such a situation is just to be a little careful, or release some of the strain from the bag's own weight.

Since the bag has no supporting structure - it is not as easy to get stuff in or out as it would be with more stiff bag. That is on the other hand leveraged by the low weight of the bag. I do on occasion wish for more sturdy bag, but I have yet to find one that can hold all the little stuff I need and does not weight a tone. And most bags still have the front pockets without any closing system (e.g. zipper) what to me is too unsafe - especially for small items.

I do wish for a more clever partial camera insert - something padded and boxy-shaped that should be attached to one of the inner sides of the bag and keep a TLR (just got a Rolleiflex 2.8E), or xpan or such - so that the camera does not move around inside the bag.I could imagine some sort of pockets like the ThinkTank Retrospective bags have inside, but lightly padded.

The narrower inner pockets are quite nice to keep lens(es), but not a camera body - in particular because these are all '2D' pockets. With small & light lenses no padding is really necessary, but with heavier lenses (metal & glass - like the Mamiya 6 lenses) I do use neoprene pouches for more safety - and of course these are a bit PITA to use. I have already though of gluing some thin (2mm) neoprene inside some of the pockets, but did not figure out how to do that without destroying the bag. I do not really like the photo inserts with dividers (all the dividers I have seen are double 'L' shaped instead of double 'T' shaped and only hold well in stiff bags.

So - it is not a perfect bag, but it is very universal and very flexible. I may get a more dedicated bag in the future, but I would first get the 6x12 setup to know what must fit inside. I am in no hurry (6x12 is expensive )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest and recommend the Domke U.S. Postal Service shoulder pad it's the most comfortable I have ever used.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like this might fit my graflex 4x5, with a few film holders too. In any case, thanks for the write-up and your timing couldn't have been better!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This likes like my big crumpler bag. If it is even close, it would be a pleasure to own. I've had mine for a couple of years and I cannot see why it would not last the rest of my life.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @Kawaiithulhu
    Yes - I think that should work. Just check the camera size (in particular thickness) when collapsed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin