Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,639   Online: 1121

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

I wish I wasn't me... OR I wish it was me....

Just a story:

A student of mine went to a music festival, and there he ran into another (pro) photographer.
    They started to talk, as my student only was carrying his Diana camera,....

The por told my student that he also had one of those - in fact he was persuaded to buy one years ago by a "photographer called Emil Schildt"....

In fact - even though he was a photojournalist, he had brought his Diana camera to war zones (Afganistan/Iraq) - also by suggestion of the beforementioned photographer...

Then he told my student, that back in the time, he - again by suggestion, bla bla..- was convinced to use Topcon equipment.
    He now was totally digital (except the Diana), and he wanted to give away his Topcon equipment.
    So he chose my student - right there..

He sounded like he wanted to be present when my student showed the stuff to me..
    because, as he said: "Emil is going to be slight frustrated, as I have a lens in there, that he doesnt have (or had)...."

TRUE!
    The set contained a Topcon RE Super camera.
    and lenses:
    28mm - 35mm - 58(F 1.4) - 135mm and 200mm

AND.... the elusive 85mm F1.8 !!!!!

No - I don't have it - I have only seen one before in my life, and I have been wanting it for more than 20 years...

I watched a "bay auction about this lens.
    It went for 800$

So why wasn't it me that knew that Emil Schildt?
    Or why didn't I go to that festival?

Now I am just trying to be really happy for my student!
    What a gift!

NICE to see nice people doing nice things!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gee, it is only money! If you buy one for $800, will you get more than $800 worth of enjoyment?

GAS is good!
    GAS is good!
    GAS is good!
    GAS is good!
    GAS is good!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a Topcon RE Super when I was overseas in 1968. 35mm, 58mm/1.4, 135mm, 300mm. Still have it, don't use it much anymore. I always wanted an 85/1.8, just never had the money for one. It is still a great camera, but past its time. I much prefer the Leica which I couldn't afford back then.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhcfires View Post
    I bought a Topcon RE Super when I was overseas in 1968. 35mm, 58mm/1.4, 135mm, 300mm. Still have it, don't use it much anymore. I always wanted an 85/1.8, just never had the money for one. It is still a great camera, but past its time. I much prefer the Leica which I couldn't afford back then.
    I don't use mine much anymore either, but I still love it. (I use mostly Mf and LF now).
    Past its time? That I don't understand.

I have tried leica, but that is not the camera for me. I just can't focus with it.
    The lenses on the Topcon are fantastic.

I "just" would love to own that 85mm - just because it is out there, and that is (excaprt the 500mm) the only Topcon lens I havn't owned....

(collectors gene, I suspect...)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin