Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,470   Online: 954

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Luna Pro vs Waterfall... Instant DEATH?

Today, while photographing Rock Glen falls near Arkona ON, I dropped my Gossen Luna Pro SBC in the water. It was not in the water for more than the blink of an eye, but it was fully submerged. It definitely got a good soaking. The viewing window and selenium cell are both fogged, which I could live with, but I'm afraid that is not the worst of the problem. The needle responds to battery check, but remains dead for all metering.

Though I would like to think that with a good blast form a hair dryer it will come back to the world of the living, I am afraid it is toast. (soggy toast) Can anyone offer any hope here, or should I begin looking for a new meter? (hopefully one that knows better than to jump in the water. )

Cheers (?)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need it opened up before drying otherwise you could do more damage, the back plate is glued on and needs lifting carefully and removing, the screws will then be visible.

Open with care observe what goes where, I've had Gossen meters apart a few times, don't touch the coil area it's very delicate

Good luck.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Tom: I cannot comment on the number of lives that a Luna Pro might have, but I can offer some optimism. Several years ago I was photographing from the pool at the bottom of Bond Falls in Michigan's UP. I heard a splash and thought that I startled a frog or turtle. Then looked beneath the dissipating ripples and found that the reptilian looked a lot like my Pentax Zone VI digital spotmeter. It's viewfinder was fogged and the readout no longer worked. When I got home I took it to my repair guy who took it apart, dried and cleaned it, reassembled it and it worked great. And is still going strong several years later. So there is hope.

By the way, it now is kept on a lanyard around my neck and not in the pocket of a shooting vest!

Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hope is cheap but it may not be down for the count. I'd open it up as much as possible and simply let it dry out in a warm, well-ventilated space over a week or so at room temp. I'd not try any heroic measures to use heat to speed things up. If you two go back a long way, this is the crew to contact for repair:

http://losangeles.citysearch.com/pro...metric_co.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with the others. Let it dry out naturally, without external heat.

But, I also propose that the first thing you should do when any electronic item gets wet is to shut it off and remove the battery as soon as possible.

I have seen so many people who drop their cell phones and things like that into water damage them by pulling them out and immediately turning them on to see if they still work. That one split second of being powered on while wet is the single most damaging thing that could happen.

Electronic devices are MOSTLY inert when the are not under power. But for the mechanical parts; the disk drives, the DVD burners and the fans, your computer could THEORETICALLY be submerged indefinitely if it did not have any power applied to its circuits. It would be theoretically possible to it out of the water, clean it and dry it out and have it work as well as before it got wet.

But that single moment of, "Gee, does it still work?... CLICK!" will fry any circuits that get shorted out with water. (And the minerals and dissolved materials in the water.)

The first thing that you should do is turn it off and take the batteries completely out of the device. The second thing you should do is dry it out. I recommend putting it on a sunny window sill with lots of air flow or a similar place.

Then, after you are sure the device is completely dry, you can perform triage on it to see if it still works or if it can be repaired.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Follow the advice given above and remember before when you took a fall, I said that everything would work out. I think if you dry it out carefully it will work out. Otherwise I recently got one from KEH for $155 LN-

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IT LIVES!!! Before waiting for the wise advice of my fellow APUGgers, I took the hairdryer to it, but not too hot, and from a safe distance. I quit when the fogging disappeard from the window, so I hope I did no further damage to it. No doubt it will need to be recalibrated, but the needle now moves and holds its position as it should.

Ian, there was no glue at all on the back, with only a single screw holding it in place. By far the easiest disassemble I've ever had to do. I will leave it open for a day or two yet to really dry well, but I think I have pulled it back from the brink for one more chance at a full life.

Thanks to all for the words of advice.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as electronic items that have be soaked,
    do you think that it would do any harm to soak it
    in 91% Isopropyl alcohol to displace the water, and
    enhance the drying process. I always thought that
    might be helpful in the first aid for a device.
    Any opinions on that type of pre-treatment before
    it gets to the repair shop.

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    As far as electronic items that have be soaked,
    do you think that it would do any harm to soak it
    in 91% Isopropyl alcohol to displace the water, and
    enhance the drying process. I always thought that
    might be helpful in the first aid for a device.
    Any opinions on that type of pre-treatment before
    it gets to the repair shop.

Ron
    Better still, marinate in a bottle of Stoli. Take to shop. Drink reserved Stoli whether in celebration or for a wake.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Better still, marinate in a bottle of Stoli. Take to shop. Drink reserved Stoli whether in celebration or for a wake.
    That's one way to take away the pain of losing a LunaPro SBC.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin