Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,839   Online: 809

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Comfortalbe shoes

The perfect vehicle for LF'ers thread got me thinking. An often overlooked (or at least seldom talked about) piece of equipment vital to the large format shooter or any nature shooter is comfortable shoes/boots.

I just bought a new pair of boots yesterday and was wondering what others on this site like.

I like the Ecco track 2 with the buff color rubber sole and have been wearing them for years. It has the best wet traction I have ever had in a boot and seem to last forever. I have had the same pair for the last 8 years and only recently felt that I needed to replace them with a new pair. Mostly for cosmetic reasons than anything else.

What do you all wear when out in the field?
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I bought a pair of these about 4 years ago when I was guiding climbing trips in college (used to be really into climbing/bouldering - interest is still there but photography takes alot of the free time) they were great for guiding because I could climb easy stuff in them if needed and they were sticky on any surface immaginable. Ive found I wear them almost exclusively when Im walking around shooting, whether its in a city or out in nature they are wonderfully comfortable and like I said are sticky as can be.

If its really hot out Ill wear a pair of chacos that were resoled with climbing rubber.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In winter I have three pairs of boots to choose from that have temp ratings(in fahrenheit)of 15,-75 and a basic pair that are Marine issue.In summer I have military(army) issue desert boots(for the really hot days),a pair of hiking boots and Marine issue desert boots simular to the other pair.I've found them all to be comfortable enough for my treks and long lasting as well.Sometimes I get a look or two if wearing the military boots(they are real too not knock offs)but I've chosen functionality over anything else.My longest pair thus far are the Marine boots I use in winter 5 1/2 years and ready for another season!
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Merrell Mid Reflex. Its gore tex layer has kept me dry and comfortable on numerous occasions, when the surroundings were anything but. Good support and grip.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...&cm_ite=srchdx
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To me I have worn the Timberland boots forever. Very affordable, comfortable, and watertight. Granted there is that first two weeks of excruciating pain breaking them in, but oh so worth it.
    What!? Behind the rabbit?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    dansco clogs ( high back )
    timberline-esque boots

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My shoes, depending upon conditions are:
    • 15year old Herman Survivors (warm and water resistant as well as good for fire walking)

• Doc Martin unlined boots (comfortable, reasonable support also good for fire walking)

• Nike Air Potatoes (no support, light cool comfy and great for canoeing)

• Original Nike ACG shoes (good all around)

• Backless merrel (hot smelly, but comfortable decent support)

• full back merrels (as above, but hotter, mor odiferous and slightly better support)
    or
    • a pair of Berks (when I'm in a hippy frame of mind and my toenails have been trimmed)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I had a pair of Timberland ankle-length hiking boots that lasted about 12 years through 4 resoles, and I never had any blisters. Had to buy new ones when they started wearing out from the inside, but by then they had become fashionable and more expensive, so I figured I might as well replace them with Vasque Sundowners, which I've been wearing for a few years and are excellent:

http://www.vasque.com/products/m-sundownergtx.cfm

Images
    You guys in your fancy shoes.

I've got a 12 yr old pair of Doc Martains that have conformed to my feet so weel that they are like wearing a pair of new sneakers.

But honestly, most ofthe time, I am barefoot when I shoot, since most of it is on the beach.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About 15 years ago I had a choice to make. I had wanted a pair of Danner boots for hunting, but every time I saved the money, something came up which took it. This time it was a choice between general anesthesia for a wisdom tooth extraction (three teeth) or just a local with novocain. Unfortunately, I wanted the boots. One tooth had grown under the lower jaw and needed to be persuaded with a hammer and chisel. I still remember hairy hands, stainless steel hammer and chisel and the two nurses trying to hold my head still while the pliers were doing their job.

In any event, I still have the boots and use them on weekends for shooting with my 4x5 pack and gear. I have never had a single blister. They are comfortable, goretex lined, vibram soled and very well made. Comfortable from day one, these are the best boots I have owned, albeit the most painful to buy. Closest I can find in this style is here: http://www.alssports.com/item.asp?prodid=9413

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin