Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,356   Online: 1042

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    The test target is only for calibrating digital cameras, not film.
    No you are wrong Greg, you can download the profiles of up to four different films to your computer after making several exposures of the test target to calibrate the computer to their response using the software provided before downloading them to the 758D. Read this http://www.karlu.com/sekonic-flashma...d-p-11847.html
    Last edited by benjiboy; 12-08-2010 at 09:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    No you are wrong Greg, you can download the profiles of up to four different films to your computer after making several exposures of the test target to calibrate the computer to their response using the software provided before downloading them to the 758D.
    Sounds pretty neat - I'm going to have to check this feature out. Do you remember the cost of the targets by any chance?
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Sounds pretty neat - I'm going to have to check this feature out. Do you remember the cost of the targets by any chance?
    Yes Jeff I can here you are http://www.amazon.com/Sekonic-EP2-Ex...1819518&sr=8-3, I told you they were expensive and the're much more expensive in the U.K, if you add this to the cost of the meter was the reason I bought the Kenko KFM 2010 in preference it has the facility to set the clip points for a films latitude in whole stops and fractions without a test target because it was designed before digital imaging came to prominence I thought it more suitable and a cheaper option for me because I only shoot film and can't see me ever shooting anything else.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 12-08-2010 at 10:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The problem with profiling film is that you have to scan the film and lie to the computer to think it is a digital camera exposure. But your scanner may, and most likely will, influence the final result. I spoke with a Sekonic rep about this just a couple weeks ago. The profiling is only for digital cameras regardless of what the literature says. Even so, the profile is only supposed to inform the user of the dynamic range of the camera/film, but cannot take into account development procedure, paper used, etc. I have this meter for a while and can see no reason to try and profile a film. I know more about the characteristics of the film I use than any meter can be programmed.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Even so, the profile is only supposed to inform the user of the dynamic range of the camera/film,
    Is this referring to the standard profile of the meter as it comes from the maker? Do you happen to know if there are any profiles available for different types of film?
    Hans
    Have you seen the light..?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    They do not offer profiles. You are supposed to buy their target and make them yourself.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The problem with profiling film is that you have to scan the film and lie to the computer to think it is a digital camera exposure. But your scanner may, and most likely will, influence the final result.
    It should also be possible to use a densitometer. Now, if only the test target was't
    so expensive...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Film Density Curves

In the recent past I have tested four film/developer combinations using a 31 step stepwedge. On the basis of the measuring values obtained it should be possible to determine clipping points, the dynamic range and the midtone. Am I right? In the manual of the meter there is a diagram that fixes the clipping points at 20 en 245 on a scale of 0-255 respectively. The dynamic range falls between 35 and 230 in this example. Too bad the scale is not given in relative densities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hadeer View Post
    In the recent past I have tested four film/developer combinations using a 31 step stepwedge. On the basis of the measuring values obtained it should be possible to determine clipping points, the dynamic range and the midtone. Am I right? In the manual of the meter there is a diagram that fixes the clipping points at 20 en 245 on a scale of 0-255 respectively. The dynamic range falls between 35 and 230 in this example. Too bad the scale is not given in relative densities.
    I doubt if this would work with the software supplied, you need the Sekonic test target to programme it to full stop and 1/10th of a stop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7SZ58CugpY you can do this with up to three different films if you scan the test shots into your computer first.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 12-12-2010 at 08:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Try this and see if it is what you want:

-Set the meter to ambient light with the shutter speed highlighted and use the spot meter
    Or aperture highlighted. Normally I will fix the depth of field. Do You agree ?

(I'm new in this forum and this is my first post)

Jochen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin