Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,632   Online: 733

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the link. Signed up directly :-D
    ....took the red pill, and just buckled up....

Chris

flickr&blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    You mean like when Velvia was discontinued due to a raw material issue, and now we have 3 flavours of Velvia?
    That was what, a few years ago? How's about Quickloads of all types, the various color neg films recently discontinued, the Neopan 400 in 120, Neopan 1600, etc, etc. Oh, and the now-you-see-it, now-you-don't instant films in 4x5 and other-size packs, and...

Sad to see any film disappear, but at least Kodak has brought out in last 2 years revised 160 VC and NC, 400 VC and NC; Ektar 100 in 35mm, 120, 4x5, 8x10; Portra 400 in 35mm, 120, 220, 4x5 and 8x10; TMY-2 in various sizes. Credit where credit is due....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kodak didn't bring out any new films, they canned a number of films (no pun intended), canned both Portra 400 NC and VC, and replaced them with an existing Vision product with a tweak. Ektar is also a tweaked Vision product. They're not new. The only 'new' thing about them is the formats they come in.

Neopan 400 is gone because of a raw material problem - just like Velvia did not so long ago and came back again. Neopan 400 is/was popular in various markets, it may or may not pull a Velvia.

What various colour neg films? I see Reala, Pro 160S and 160C (whatever they want to call them now), Pro 400H still being made (again, naming difference), as well as Superia 400 XTRA, 800 XTRA (now "Venus"), 1600, Fujicolor 100, and as well as Premium 400, whih is another consumer C-41 film, different to Superia 400 XTRA.

For both Kodak and Fuji, not all films are listed either, re: Kodak Ektacolor Pro 160.
    Last edited by Athiril; 11-14-2010 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Looking through some old slides last night, I found one of Leicester Square from some time in the early 1980s. In pride of place was the big green ad for FujiFilm covering most of the side of the building.
    Those were the days....
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    And the top has a sheet film code notch.

If only Kodak would do something like this...
    They do!! Personlly I think the main Kodak website is absolutely brilliant with superb marketing for their traditional film products. Compare the main Kodak website with the main Fuji one - there is quite a difference.

Whlst new Portra 400 and Ektar may share technology with Vision, they are of course not re-badged movie film and there will have been enourmous investment to bring these products to market - I think it would suprise people just how much if we knew.

Currently "Choose film" website seems to be the only marketing spend Fuji have with traditional products, which is a shame.
    Last edited by Matt5791; 11-15-2010 at 11:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Henning Serger View Post
    Thanks for the information, looks like an improvement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    They do!! Personlly I think the main Kodak website is absolutely brilliant with superb marketing for their traditional film products. Compare the main Kodak website with the main Fuji one - there is quite a difference.

Whlst new Portra 400 and Ektar may share technology with Vision, they are of course not re-badged movie film and there will have been enourmous investment to bring these products to market - I think it would suprise people just how much if we knew.

Currently "Choose film" website seems to be the only marketing spend Fuji have with traditional products, which is a shame.
    It is not clear to me where Fujifilm wants to go with their analogue stills photography film offering. My perception from here in the UK is that their E6 films have willing purchasers, but their colour negative offering is possibly less distinctive compared to the Kodak products.

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They do!! Personlly I think the main Kodak website is absolutely brilliant with superb marketing for their traditional film products.
    Really? In what way? You can find information about the film products on the web site, but all of the real promotional effort of the site is clearly directed to digital products. There's no effort to interest anybody in the film products who isn't already a user.

The thing about the Fuji site is that it is clearly an initiative of Fuji UK, and there doesn't seem to be any coordination with Fuji's other units. The nice thing about it is that they're trying to make it welcoming for all film users, not just Fuji customers (a smart move on their part, I'd say).

Shooter
    35mm
    They do!! Personlly I think the main Kodak website is absolutely brilliant with superb marketing for their traditional film products.
    Oh no, superb marketing looks absolutely different.
    Kodak is doing a bit better with their cine film marketing (why shoot film, interviews with directors etc.).
    But for photo film: nothing equivalent from them. Why not?

For photo film there is no marketing strategy at Kodak.

The greatest problem of the current analogue market is the lack of efficient marketing strategies and marketing campaigns. Kodak, Ilford, Fuji, Foma, Lucky, Adox, Rollei-Film/Maco don't do nothing to promote film as an attractive photographic medium.

The same for the big film distribution companies: Freestyle, macodirect, fotoimpex and your business ag-photographic. No marketing strategies for promoting film use and getting new photographers interested in shooting film.

There are millions of people, which have started photography with digital. Lots of them are now realizing that there is film, too.
    They asked themselves, "which may be the reasons and the advantages of shooting film?"
    They think: "Oh, the best should be to visit the information websites of the film manufactureres and distributors. They will tell me all the good reasons why they produce film, why they sell film and why I should use film".

Then they visitit the websites:
    Kodak: Nothing (only for cine film, but photographers will not look there)
    Fuji: Nothing
    Ilford: Nothing
    Foma: Nothing
    Lucky: Nothing
    Freestyle: Nothing
    Fotoimpex/Adox: Nothing
    Rollei-Film: Nothing
    Ag-photographic: Nothing

These digital photographers with a starting interest in film will not find any infomation by the film manufacturers, which could be the reasons to shoot film.
    Their possible conclusion: If the film producers don't know why to shoot film, then there is no reason for me to start with film.

Film manufacturers and distributors are the only companies in todays capitalism, who think you can successful sell products without efficient marketing strategies.
    Of course you are not successful without marketing.

The only exception is the Lomographic Society: They do an extremely efficient marketing not only for their own products, but intensively for film as a photographic medium and a new trend.
    Because of their new and innovative marketing strategies they are extremely succesful (I have recently talked to them at one of their new gallery stores and the manager told me they have growth rates of 20-40% per year, and that for about ten years now!!).
    But for the whole film market the Lomography marketing is of course not sufficient.
    Kodak, Ilford, Fuji + Co have to start marketing strategies as well.

But the example of Lomography shows clearly that also in the digital age selling film in big numbers is possible.
    But that will not "fall from the sky", you have to work for it, you have to develop the marktes, you have to do marketing.

That is right, but the other manufacturers and distributors are not better in this regard.
    The whole behavier concernig marketing of all film manufacturers and distributors is a shame, except LSI (they do by far the most for promoting film as an attractive photographic medium).
    But perhaps the choosefilm relaunch is the first step in the right direction. The first step in new marketing efforts. Let's hope that's the case, and let's get in contact with them and other producers to tell them, to share ideas (for marketing) and to support them.

Choosefilm could be a tool for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marketing in the sense you're referring to is overrated; much better for the manufacturer to provide good in-depth product information, and maybe some case studies, not trendy absurdist hype. Intelligent customers will figure out film for themselves if they are sufficiently curious.

To counter your list, for starters see: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=140
    and: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...?pq-path=13319

Tom

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin