Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,900   Online: 1082

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

film is awesome

I did some analog film in the 90s, but I never knew much about it. Then nikon d70 came out and I was hooked. Then I start looking and reading about photography art history. Then I discovered that I did not like the look of digital. I never got along with nikon's nef files. When I discovered many fine art photographers I knew that one day in my life I would be brave and start shooting film.
    I never understood to try to make a digital file look like film, but perhaps that is me. If I want the look of film then I shoot film. Why use for example nik's software to make an image look like tri-x if you can shoot the real thing.
    The reason why I say this because there is hope. I went from digital to film (beginner) and I think many more people will follow when they realize what possibilities film can offer.

Also many camaras that were outreach in the past due to price have come down so more people can afford them to try it out.

About Fuji; pro S and Pro C in 120 format are not available anymore here in the US, as far I can tell. About a month ago it was listed as discontinued on B&H website.

Thanks for reading.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm afraid you are right on that point, that's why I wish Kodak would either sell their film division to someone who think it still has potential or start changing their mind set and make some room for film in their bigger promising digital future.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey lovetodraw, you are exactly the kind of new film users that we should target.
    Last edited by Lionel1972; 12-17-2010 at 08:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Whatever one might think about Lomography, it has certainly introduced many people to using film, and one would hope that many of them go on to progress, if that's the right expression, beyond Lomography.

Meanwhile, in the UK, I think we should be grateful to the pharmaceutical shop chain, Boots, who have hundreds of branches throughout the country. The great majority of those still have a range of films, on display, colour print & colour slide from Kodak & Fuji and their own brand too, and black & white film from Ilford and often Kodak. They usually have APS size too, and carried Polaroid and 110 films until they went off the market. Of course the prices are much higher than suppliers such as Ag Photographic charge, but Boots are continuing to give film a High Street presence. Compare this with Jessops, who are supposed to be primarily a photographic chain, but who seem embarrased about selling film these days.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac View Post
    Meanwhile, in the UK, I think we should be grateful to the pharmaceutical shop chain, Boots, who have hundreds of branches throughout the country. The great majority of those still have a range of films, on display, colour print & colour slide from Kodak & Fuji and their own brand too, and black & white film from Ilford and often Kodak.
    In fact, they often have a better stock of film than Jessops, an alleged photographic chain of shops.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here in the US I have advocated - and practiced myself - that we should buy a roll of Tri-X from CVS stores about once a month.

Yes, it is overpriced. But it isn't that much, and it tickles the inventory.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Absolutely agreed about CVS. They seem to be the only place around my house that has any selection at all, and not even all the stores, just a few. Occasionally, we will get a "$5 off your purchase of $XX" coupons when picking up prescriptions. We don't normally buy anything else at CVS so I always blow those coupons on TriX. A few other people seem to be doing the same cause the Tri-X inventory seems to keep turning over. The local CVS also started carrying BW400CN again, which they have not had in years. That seems to turn over, too. Color film they always have a small pile so it's hard to tell.

In another note for the "film isn't quite dead yet" department (aka, "almost feels like a resurgence"), my wife would like to have her early 80's Canon Snappy 50 put back into operation - it needs the back cover replaced as the plastic catch broke off. She tried using one of our daughter's Nikon digicams and couldn't stand it. So I went on fleaBay and found another to either replace it or scavenge the back. Guess what? I had to fight off people bidding on this thing. Not that I ended up paying any high price for it but two years ago you couldn't give P&S film cameras away at all and now I have to bid against people? (Two years ago I picked up a really nice Pentax P&S for 99 cents.) Somebody wants them.

Reminds me of the HP TV digicam commercial a few years ago - "where are the pictures"? I think people, older people anyway, are really starting to miss the (real) pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rhmimac View Post
    It might be more heartening if the re-launch of "Use Film" wasn't accompanied by them discontinuing half their film products without warning, as Tonto would say " white man speak with forked tongue ".
    Last edited by benjiboy; 12-26-2010 at 04:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin