Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,290   Online: 882

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I agree with Suzanne on the iffy-ness of changing gear a lot. It takes a lot of energy and time to "get into" a format for me. I fuss way too much about which camera to use. So, yes I have more than I need.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i guess i answered my own question, we need as many cameras as we need.
    You Should " Ask Chris "

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum47/84589-ask-chris.html

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always seem to need one more than I have.

At least it's an arithmetical progression.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More! More! I need more!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never have enough cameras!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i
    and even harder to do contact prints with a 110 or 1/2 frame 35mm negative.
    No, that's easy, just stick the film under the glass and expose. The hard part is viewing them after.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are over 50, I think two of each is appropriate.

If your over 75, one of each should be about right.

Those young kids may need more.

Have I offended everyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, it depends.

I can justify having a 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic and a Century Graphic for 2x3 'cos the Speed can use barrel lenses and longer lenses than will work on the Century and the Century can use shorter lenses than will work on the Speed. The two together with a tiny bit of hardware make a tandem camera that works with lenses up to around 480 mm. My other two 2x3 Graphics, acquired for the lens and parts, respectively, just gather dust.

I can justify my 2x3 Cambo SC 'cos it is a real view camera, unlike the Graphics. Also because it will work with lenses longer than can be used on the tandem Graphic and because, if I can ever get everything involved to work properly, it is the basis of a 2x3 "Baby Bertha" SLR. Yes, there's a 2x3 Graflex in there somewhere.

I used to be able to justify having two Nikons, an FM2n and another -- there have been several, the current one is a N8008S -- with aperture preferred auto exposure. I used the FM2n at 1/250 with KM and flash for closeup shots in the field, the auto exposure capable alternative with, depending on the situation, a b/w emulsion or an ISO 100 E-6 emulsion. Also used the auto exposure body behind a mirror lens, for that application continuously variable shutter speed is handy. But now KM is no more and the N8008S also has a 1/250 flash sync speed. Unless I'm going to shoot two emulsions there's no need for the FM2n.

When I was shooting S8 I always needed several cameras, eventually refined the kit to a pair of Beaulieus -- 5008SMS to use cheap short-dated sound film, 4008ZM2 for high and variable framing rate, both for C-mount lenses --, a Nautica for underwater and ultrawide shots, and a 310XL for whenever it could be used. The 310XL is unlovable because it is hard to control and communicates nothing to the user except "its too dark" but when it could be used -- 18 fps, focal length needed in 6 mm, 8.5-25.5 mm -- it took better footage than the Beaulieus. I'm not shooting S8 anymore, no longer need any of them.

If I ever make the move to 6x12 I'll probably be able to justify a 4x5 Crown Graphic. If ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlapp View Post
    you need 12. No more or fewer
    I think that answer works for me, depending on how one counts.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think I will answer, Ron. But as I am not in the tongue-in-cheek thread, I might try a more serious approach.

CJ has an article 'Advice for Aspiring Photographers'. To paraphrase: 'perfect the equipment you have and don't get caught up in the next piece of equipment to come down the pike.'

This is not a one camera, one film, one dev, on paper mentality; not for me anyhow. I have a few cameras and have settled on a couple as my gonna use one or the other. I do not do professional work, have not for a few years. Then it was delusions of grandeur. f I ever were to do so again, it would be form a different perspective. For what I do I don't need alot. I honestly have held it down to one camera in the last year plus. The 4x5 Press. And I absolutely love it. I still have the Minoltas and I drag them out every now and again to remember what they feel like.

I guess I say all that to say this. Hobbyists generally have a couple or a few that they use regularly and with love. Collectors will have dozens, even scores of bodies (with a few favorites). Pros probably have duplicate systems for redundancy. It all comes down to the individual as the responses have thus far implied.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin