Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,348   Online: 758

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jarvman,

I can recommend the M&S 100% lambswool jumpers to go under your fleece. - http://www.marksandspencer.com/Blue-...elated-items-3

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the past I would be sent out like this guy in the movie The Christmas Story. God help you if you fell down, you would be stuck for life. And don't lick the flag poles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails christmasstory.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Personally, I find it difficult to match the requirements of walking/hiking and those of standing around for ages waiting for the light

Any good outdoor shop will be able to advise you but wickable layers are the key IMO

Martin
    Amen.

The other thing,,, If it looks sexy and trim fitting,,, it's likely cold. you want to look like a StayPuff Marshmallow. Big,,, loose fitting, nothing tight on arms or legs and feet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Amen.

The other thing,,, If it looks sexy and trim fitting,,, it's likely cold. you want to look like a StayPuff Marshmallow. Big,,, loose fitting, nothing tight on arms or legs and feet.
    Missed the Christmas story post,,, that's the look your looking for.

Can you still get Moon boots? Remember those? Big old baggy things with an inch of styrofoam in the sole?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    http://www.thru-hiker.com/x/index.ph...iewthread/260/

Good thread on the actual product. Long story short,,, doesn't look like it breaths all that well,
    Thanks for that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    I've just been out in -4 weather ...
    I take it that is -4C (25F), the current temperature in Cardiff?
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 12-07-2010 at 03:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    It must be -4C because -20C is extremely rare indeed here.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There's a company called psolar that makes balaclavas with a weird little mouthpiece doo-hickey attached to it (makes you look sort of like Darth Vader). The doo-hickey is actually a small heat-exchanger, heating your inhalation significantly helps the body retain heat in cold weather. First saw cops in Chicago using these. Works amazingly well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget to protect your camera as well. Not so much from the cold but from condensation when you come back to the warm moist house. I always carried some zip lock bags to wrap everything up tight before coming in from the cold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Austrian Army surplus winter boots (double layer of leather with some insulation in between, heavy but effective), cross-country skiing undies under normal outer wear (just add layers!) and winter cycling gloves of varying size, insulation and number of finger pockets (the warmest ones are "Live long and prosper" only). This winter, I'm trying out snowshoes for the first time, tired of getting stuck in snowdrifts.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin