Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1296

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    dorothy -

sometimes if you unplug the scanner totally from everything - the wall, the computer &C, wait about 5-10 minutes. while you are waiting, shut your computer down, and reboot + reset your peripherals ... then plug everything back in ... sometimes that works to reset it.

good luck!

- john

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Dorothy, I've got the same problem a time ago. Maybe you settings for dpi were too high or the dimensions for the scan too big. Than the memory become full and the whole thing stops.
    Uninstall the Epson (-> Software -> Uninstall) and shut down your PC.
    Wait for several minutes so the memory can be empty, disconnect the cables.
    Restart your PC and install the software again. Connect your cables and reboot.
    Normally that must clear the problem.
    If you did all this and the problem consists there is something worse with the hardware.
    Greez,
    erjie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fintan,
    This is what I can tell you now after confirming:

Can you say how many USB ports on your PC?

2 USB ports...I've tried it in both

What version of windows?

Win 2k (windows 2000)

So far, this is what I can add to the list of what we've already done:

We've loaded the drivers on an XP computer and installed the scanner...still won't intialize. We've tried both USB ports...they are both USB 1 not USB 2. USB 2 is better, newer faster. We've tried a new USB 2 cable. I've made sure the lock is not engaged. We''ve uninstalled and then re-installed the software. We've gently shaken it. We've look all over for a forum that addresses the failure to initialize. We've gone to the scanner properties through the control panel and made sure that the right selections are made (and not made). Under control panel...the test communication button on scanners doesn't show available.

Does this do anything? Thanks again for taking time to help me out here!

Dorothy--

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dorothy-

I believe your problem is hardware related, not software related. (By the way: It can't be related to the shipping lock, as that can only engage the carriage when the carriage is all of the way to the top of the scanner. Trust me on this one, as I've had my 3200 apart.)

You might try looking over in the Yahoo! Groups Epson 3200 group for information. Should you decide that you're desperate enough to disassemble the scanner, there are instructions there (relating to how to clean the underside of the glass) that show you how to take the scanner apart.

If you decide that this scanner is dead and you don't want to shell out the money for a new 4780, Epson is selling refurbished 3200's through the Clearance section of their web site for $299. No bargain, but not as bad as the new scanners either.

Best of luck to you.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave,
    Heading over to Yahoo Groups now to check it out. Thanks so much for the detailed info. I'd really like to salvage what I've got. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

Dorothy--

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds almost like a Trojan or a virus or something blocking the software from working, though I would assume you have a good virus program running and updated.
    If it was anything mechanical I would suspect the USB cable first, that being the weakest link and also the easiest to replace. I've had that trouble before.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Update! We have a dual boot on our PC and was able to install the scanner software through Windows98. The scanner initialized! I'm convinced now that some virus/trojan has corrupted network files. Now the fun part...finding the culprit to all of this!!! Ah...where to begin!

I can't thank all of you enough for your help. This is a great forum with a great wealth of talent.

Dorothy--

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dorothy-

I am very happy that I was completely wrong. In my post above I said that I thought your problem was hardware related, and althought I don't envy you the task of figuring out what the real issue is I'm glad you won't have to purchase a new scanner.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dorothy, (sorry for the misspelling earlier)

At the start of this post you stated you had tried the scanner on another PC, this lead me to think what ever caused the problem could be a driver issue with W2K (that is the OS you are running, correct?). If so, then there may not be a trojan horse or anything more than a W2K issue. Know that does not make any easier to find, but you may need to find something in the registry. When the scanner was tested on the 'other' pc had any updates been applied to it? I would continue to search the Epson forums to see if this had been seen before and would bet that there some folks there that can assist you in getting it up and going.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Dorothy, (sorry for the misspelling earlier)

At the start of this post you stated you had tried the scanner on another PC, this lead me to think what ever caused the problem could be a driver issue with W2K (that is the OS you are running, correct?). If so, then there may not be a trojan horse or anything more than a W2K issue. Know that does not make any easier to find, but you may need to find something in the registry. When the scanner was tested on the 'other' pc had any updates been applied to it? I would continue to search the Epson forums to see if this had been seen before and would bet that there some folks there that can assist you in getting it up and going.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

I've been off the air for a few days having had problems installing Broadband and a Networking system and have just read this thread. Ten days ago I was talking to a friend in the south of England who also has this problem, he had tried all the fixes suggested here other than the Windows 2000 Operating System sggestion without luck. I spoke to another friend on his behalf who suggested that the problem may lie with the OS. I'll, call him this evening and report his findings.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin