Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,864   Online: 951

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Epson Perfection 3200 Photo...need help!

For some crazy reason, while in the middle of scanning negatives, my scanner just stopped. Completely quit. Hubby and I thought it might be the USB, but after purchasing a new one, that was not the case. The scanner was then tested with another PC in the house, still no luck. We've downloaded patches, updates, etc., but still, the scanner does not work. The green light is on in the front and the scanner bed light comes on...that's it.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Do these scanners just quit? We called customer support at Epson only to be told that the scanner was just out of warranty and that they wanted to charge us for helping with the problem over the phone. I don't think so! REAL disappointed in THAT one!!!

So...I'm looking for any tips, ideas, suggestions as to what may have gone wrong!!!!!!!!!

Dorothy--

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    this probably is the wrong message board to ask about this problem.. we all do our best to avoid scanners

try www.largeformatphotography.info forums or the photo.net

my assumption would be a broken belt that drives the CCD censor..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Deniz for giving me that info. I'll check to see...I'll also check the other forums. I use the scanner for proofing purposes only, but figured I'd give it a shot here (apug) just in case someone might know something. Again...thanks!

Dorothy--

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    check the cords in the back, this happen to me and after the fact and a series of teeth grinding events i found out a cable was loose.

p.s; how does one load a picture to the gallery if one can't scan?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ann...check on the plugs/cords. Everything there seems to be intact. We even re-loaded software, went to Epson's site and have just hit a brick wall. Thought maybe there might be something I was missing. Still hoping! I sure hate to have to buy another scanner as the repair costs on this one aren't worth it, I'm sure.

Dorothy--

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "all the lights come on and all the cords are in"

Has the scanner reset the CCD sensor bar back to the rear of the scanner or is it stopped partially through the scan cycle?

I'd probably do a search on one of the epson scanner forums and see if this is a common problem and what the solution and repair costs have been.

If you are fairly convinced you don't want to repair it then I'd slap the side of it a couple times to see if that convinces it to go.. As strange as it sounds I've *fixed* any number of things that way.. If not permanantly at least to limp along until I felt like replacing them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gentle slaps, though...

Scanners have more delicate moving parts than most gizmos, and it'd be easy to knock something out of register, so don't welly it too hard. My (electronically experienced) gut tells me that this is not something that is likely to be fixed by the "broadband seismic impulse" approach...

First bet, software glitch; reload drivers, fiddle with settings, cold reboot and keep trying. Second bet, dry joint; a little resoldering might do it, if you know someone capable and confident enough to tackle it (Not me! I solder like a pidgeon pooing from several hundred feet!). Third bet, belt it one; nothing to lose...!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    ..."broadband seismic impulse" approach...
    I've always heard this referred to as "percussive maintenance".
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Images
    I have a monitor that I have to "lay hands on" from time to time to get the color back to normal, It works and has taken quite the beating. On a scanner I would be afraid of the moving parts getting thrown out of wack. I second calling epson or asking on the scanner forums.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dorthy, one other thougt most scanners have a "lock" that keeps the important stuff (technical term) from moving around while the unit is being moved. Might find it and check to see if it has been moved to a partially locked position. Would guess you have powered the scanner off and back on. When you do does it do anything other than the green light coming on? The light should move as it gets into position, even when not connected to a PC.

Yep Ann! May be the home of APUG, but in this case this is a valid question I think....Sean, any comments?
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin