Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,700   Online: 949

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the "Very!" group. I just got mine last summer, a cheap Promaster SystemPRO with a Manfrotto322 ball head. I could see a substantial improvement
    in sharpness from the first roll of film I used it with. I have very shaky hands and a lot of the places where I like to take pictures are not really tripod convenient so the monopod is a big help
    I also agree about it making a good walking stick.
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am going to be the weird one.

I have a Manfroto mono-pod as well as a tripod. I bought both because I thought having mono-pod will be helpful for times I don't quite need a tripod but could use some assistance. But, so far I have not needed a mono-pod even once. I either need a tripod or could get away with hand holding. I haven't had in-between situations. The longest lens I use is 200mm but on 35mm and it does have an image stabilization. For my Mamiya M645 and everything else, again, it's either tripod or nothing. I do not shoot sports by the way.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I have a Manfroto mono-pod as well as a tripod. I bought both because I thought having mono-pod will be helpful for times I don't quite need a tripod but could use some assistance. But, so far I have not needed a mono-pod even once.
    Nothing works in every situation.

I bought mine thinking I'd use it mostly with my longer lenses, 100-200 on 35mm.

What I found was that it improved every shot I used it for, even with my 35mm lens and that it could do a lot of the work I had been using tripods for. With a camera strap and a post or tree or chair, it does the same job.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    not quite apug related, but we've already gone that way...

A sturdy simple monopod like the manfrotto is an EXCELLENT video stabilizer for small video cameras like the flip and it's clones. Walk around with a very light hand grip to the monopod, and you can move the camera smoothly while recording. I often keep a flip in my jacket pocket for opportunities that present themself while shooting film or digital still images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Nothing works in every situation.
    I haven't needed it even once. I'll see how it goes though.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know four guys that own a monopod, not one of them used it after about 6 months. Hand held or tripod is the way these guys work.

Probably great for some people and not very important to others; just like any other piece of equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in the market for one .

In the past I've used one with 35mm when travelling by train and bus.

I intend to use a new one with cameras that have waist-level finders and have no need to be flipped to shoot vertically or horizontally - so I don't need a "head".

I'd like to mount something like a Manfrotto 323 to it, because my tripod heads work with Manfrotto quick release plates.

This is a 323:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/webc.../156/11032.jpg
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I bought a Gitzo travel but didn't see that much difference over handheld. I mostly shoot handheld or use a tripod whenever I am below 1/60 on my blads... Always use a tripos on my Mamiya RZ.

Shooter
    35mm
    Like others here, I have both a monopod and tripod(s) and don't use either as much as I should. But if you get one, try to get a least a small ball head for it. I find that sometimes I can get a better shot if I can lean the monopod against something stable, then level/frame using the ballhead.

Sometimes, nothing beats using a tabletop tripod to get the shot!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I'm in the market for one .

In the past I've used one with 35mm when travelling by train and bus.

I intend to use a new one with cameras that have waist-level finders and have no need to be flipped to shoot vertically or horizontally - so I don't need a "head".

I'd like to mount something like a Manfrotto 323 to it, because my tripod heads work with Manfrotto quick release plates.

This is a 323:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/webc.../156/11032.jpg
    Those work nicely and use the standard RC2 plate. Ball heads are problematic with monopods for obvious adjustment reasons: locked, they're useless; and unlocked, they're unstable. Left a bit loose on the body, the RC2 plate can move a bit under tension for adjustment on the flip-head with short teles and under. Works for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin